Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Philosophy
Your Philosophy
Ayn Rand once summed up her philosophy as;

Metaphysics: Objective Reality
Epistemology: Reason
Ethics: Self-interest
Politics: Capitalism

I would sum up mine as;

Metaphysics: Existential Nihilism
Ethics: Moral Nihilism/Egoism
Economics: Free-Market Communism
Politics: Democratic-Republican-Nihilism

Using the model I gave above, how would you sum up your philosophy?
RE: Your Philosophy
Mine: Go Blow Jesus Out Your Ass.
(January 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Mine: Go Blow Jesus Out Your Ass.
Your supposed to use the model I gave above.Tongue
Metaphysics: Objective reality
Ethics: Painism (a variant on rule utilitarianism)
Economics: Mixed market with emphasis on the Market
Politics: Conservative liberalism
I've got my own model.
(January 5, 2014 at 2:01 am)Minimalist Wrote: I've got my own model.

yes and it consists of conspiracy theories about Republiconneonazis who are also libertarians.
Ayn Rand; really man? Phony, arrogant, dolt, bad philosopher, yadayada. Point is, she was a turd. I mean, putting 'reason' as the descriptor of your epistemology is like putting your reason for working to 'get money'; no shit, in other words, tells you nothing of substance (which Rand's works lacked anyway).

/rant
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
Evolving and enigmatic.
(January 5, 2014 at 2:51 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Ayn Rand; really man? Phony, arrogant, dolt, bad philosopher, yadayada. Point is, she was a turd. I mean, putting 'reason' as the descriptor of your epistemology is like putting your reason for working to 'get money'; no shit, in other words, tells you nothing of substance (which Rand's works lacked anyway).

/rant

Rand certainly was not a good philosopher by any means but reason is a perfectly good epistimology, rather than revelation for instance. When Rand used 'reason' she meant by rational inquiry based on observation.

Whilst I certainly do not follows rands beliefs I find the ranting by leftists who object not to here ability at Philosophy but to her Freemarket policies boring in the extreme, especially when they subscribe to such absurd politics as many do themselves.
(January 5, 2014 at 2:51 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Ayn Rand; really man? Phony, arrogant, dolt, bad philosopher, yadayada. Point is, she was a turd. I mean, putting 'reason' as the descriptor of your epistemology is like putting your reason for working to 'get money'; no shit, in other words, tells you nothing of substance (which Rand's works lacked anyway).

/rant
I don't agree with Ayn Rand on economics at all, but I can still respect her as a philosopher & actually tend to agree with her on some things.

Can we get back on topic now please?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5106 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1348 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3415 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1542 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12356 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2559 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4880 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8196 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11648 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2259 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne