Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labels
Labels
We are all born with labels. I was born a human. I was born a male. I was born a citizen.

While language is necessary to commute information, it also falls short in its capacity to fully convey ultimate essence.

Language applies labels not only for convenience, but also for purposes of categorizing data. If I call myself a fill in the blank , with respect to religious affiliation, I am at once placing myself within the context of any subject's respective interpretation on the matter. To one person a "Baptist" is this and/or that, while any other number of other persons may have differing attributes to apply toward one being a "Baptist".

I bring this up because I don't fit any religious "label" (atheist/theist). I suspect that I will be labeled as this or that solely based upon this, and other posts I have made, and if not, then I suspect that there is a current suspension in labeling due to a lack of information that may be required to do so. In other words, we humans as a race, seem to have a need to label things (i.e. "God") in order to maintain a certain unspoken level of comfort.

I don't call myself anything with respect to belief. I am neither theist nor am I atheist. What would you call me?
RE: Labels
Confused.
(January 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm)It Is i Wrote: We are all born with labels. I was born a human. I was born a male. I was born a citizen.

While language is necessary to commute information, it also falls short in its capacity to fully convey ultimate essence.

Language applies labels not only for convenience, but also for purposes of categorizing data. If I call myself a fill in the blank , with respect to religious affiliation, I am at once placing myself within the context of any subject's respective interpretation on the matter. To one person a "Baptist" is this and/or that, while any other number of other persons may have differing attributes to apply toward one being a "Baptist".

I bring this up because I don't fit any religious "label" (atheist/theist). I suspect that I will be labeled as this or that solely based upon this, and other posts I have made, and if not, then I suspect that there is a current suspension in labeling due to a lack of information that may be required to do so. In other words, we humans as a race, seem to have a need to label things (i.e. "God") in order to maintain a certain unspoken level of comfort.

I don't call myself anything with respect to belief. I am neither theist nor am I atheist. What would you call me?

at this point i wouldn't label you anything because of my lack of knowledge on what your belief system is or what you simply believe in. But what i see in labels, is we define what something means and then see what we best fit into.
Now you say you don't fit into any main labels like atheism or theism. so you should have a vast understanding on what the basis of those labels are. So at this point i would personally say that you are just discovering and building up your independence.
(January 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm)It Is i Wrote: We are all born with labels. I was born a human. I was born a male. I was born a citizen.

[Image: Carly-GIFS-carly-rae-jepsen-33908520-500-281.gif]
A hipster?
How do you know there's ultimate essence? Some philosophers go on about essence as if it's so indisputably important, casting appearance to the wayside. What's so great about essence.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
Wow. A lot of words there. What did they all capture "in essence"?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(January 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm)It Is i Wrote: I don't call myself anything with respect to belief. I am neither theist nor am I atheist. What would you call me?

There's more than just those two categories when it comes to belief in a god. More importantly, if you're truly an apatheist, you wouldn't even bother asking the question. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

(January 9, 2014 at 6:10 pm)cato123 Wrote: Confused.

(January 9, 2014 at 7:11 pm)Insanity Wrote: A hipster?

(January 10, 2014 at 12:01 am)Cinjin Wrote: an apatheist

Labels. Now, what do they actually say about a person? Might they say more about the person placing the label rather than the one upon whom the label is being placed? Why do we need them at all?

This is a philosophy thread. Go nuts.

I'd say you're a contrarian with some rather mainstream views about language which you've decided to base your viewpoint upon.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]