Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESO
ESO
Elder Scrolls Online, the next and first Bethesda installment to feature online play will be released in April this year. As a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, I'm sad to say I won't be getting ESO, as subscriptions are not my cup of tea.

I don't blame Bethesda either; most big MMORPGs have monthly subscriptions. If people are willing to pay for it, Besthesda isn't going to turn down that subscription money. As much as I love them, they're still a company.

What do you guys think? will you get the game when it comes out despite the subscription? do you think Bethesda is taking the Elder Scrolls series in the right direction?
[Image: thfrog.gif]

RE: ESO
I probably won't be getting it for the same reasons as you. I myself play Guild Wars 2, the best MMORPG (IMO) & with no subscription fees.

Also, if a comparatively small South Korean company can manage to go without subscription fees, I see no reason why Bethesda couldn't.
I prefer pay monthly to pay to win. I'll probably play the trial version and see what I think of it. My issue with MMORPG's is they leech on your time too much if you want to get to the endgame.
Subscriptions are annoying but can be worth it. Good MMOs are a lot of fun and the interaction between people is often priceless. That being said, I do not know if I'm gonna bother with this when my gaming PC comes in. Skyrim and nexus mods? Oh yeah, but an online elder's scrolls? I do not know. I do need something to play online though.
I know someone who is on the beta so I'll get their verdict on how good it is looking.

I'm not holding my breath though, not really a fan of money grabbing MMO's.
I play TOR at a friend's house sometimes, but the last MMO I payed for was Star Wars Galaxies. About ten fucking years ago. Good god, how online gaming has changed. There was no 'buy this special shit separately from your subscription' back then. After swg, my online game of choice for a couple years was Gmod because not only was zombie survival awesome, but free online gaming. I like rpgs more so than FPS though.
I'm just wondering who wanted this. They put a lot of money into it and the world looks amazing. I'm an avid fan of the franchise but honestly, I won't even give this a try because of the subscription. I sink thousands of hours into the games already, now I'd have to continuously pay while I'm playing, no thanks.

It's bizarre to me that they'd think it's a good idea to turn a game built on the amazing single player immersion and make a world full of thousands of idiots. Because that's all I want while I'm roaming around, is thousands of whiny kids. Immersion be dammed. There's already plenty of MMORPG powerhouses out there, it's a tough market and I think Bethesda is gearing up to lose a lot of money.
(January 10, 2014 at 12:03 pm)TAW Wrote: It's bizarre to me that they'd think it's a good idea to turn a game built on the amazing single player immersion and make a world full of thousands of idiots. Because that's all I want while I'm roaming around, is thousands of whiny kids. Immersion be dammed. There's already plenty of MMORPG powerhouses out there, it's a tough market and I think Bethesda is gearing up to lose a lot of money.

Yeah I'm at a loss for why they're doing this as well. Hit the nail on the head, Bethesda is known for its single player. Now they're trying to change the formula of their success, and frankly I can only see it ruining the entire universe they've created. I was recently paying for a subscription to the old republic, the only reason I played it was because I loved the previous games. But after a couple months I realised, I don't love the franchise any more because they've totally got rid of what made the previous games great. The fact that it was single player. The same seems to look like it'll happen with ESO.

I'd just like to say I actually still like the old republic. But I think if you ask any existing fan of the series what they would of wanted, an MMO or a sequel, the answer for 99% of people would be a sequel. The same goes for the elder scrolls IMO. I don't understand why they've chosen to go down this direction, I certainly didn't see anyone calling for it.