Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CYNIC
CYNIC
have always been an atheist. I have common sense, the ability to reason, observational skills, and parents who didn't indoctrinate me.
Came here looking for thoughtful ways to further the notion of realism.
Topics I would like to discuss, if anyone has links to threads in these areas, much appreciated....
Selfishness
Trusting Yourself

I have been cruising around the site and see much debate on the reality of _____(enter any belief system here). I thought coming to this board, I would find atheist having thoughtful discussions, not hateful vitriol. Is the premise of this board that we all agree there is no deity? This sounds antagonistic but I assure you, I am only trying to clarify if I belong in this forum.
Sincerely,
CYNIC
RE: CYNIC
The general premise of this site is that most of us agree that there is no evidence for any form of deity. Great

Welcome along..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(January 11, 2014 at 5:50 am)Darwinian Wrote: The general premise of this site is that most of us agree that there is no evidence for any form of deity. Great

Welcome along..

Right on, I see the disclaimer that there is no evidence. That shows a true thinker: someone able to change his mind given the truth.
(January 11, 2014 at 6:01 am)CYNIC Wrote:
(January 11, 2014 at 5:50 am)Darwinian Wrote: The general premise of this site is that most of us agree that there is no evidence for any form of deity. Great

Welcome along..

Right on, I see the disclaimer that there is no evidence. That shows a true thinker: someone able to change his mind given the truth.

Or her mind Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(January 11, 2014 at 5:36 am)CYNIC Wrote: Topics I would like to discuss, if anyone has links to threads in these areas, much appreciated....
Selfishness
Trusting Yourself

I don't remember any active thread about those particular topics, so feel free to start one (or two) yourself Smile

Quote:Is the premise of this board that we all agree there is no deity?

Mostly. About 12% of our frequenters believe in some kind of deity.

Welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
So, I was being a bit harsh. Just looking around for some thoughtful conversations. Yes, I have hobbies and like to hang out in forums with like minded veggie gardeners and such. Yes, I have people in real life with whom I socialize. But, sometimes we need to have a place to really explore our philosophical side. The wonders of the universe. The absurdity of shit. Life and all its wonders. Etcetera. Etcetera. (without being told it is god's way. Really a conversation stopper, IMO)

I am searching for someplace where I know I won't have to hear shit like, "I am so blessed" because a person got a job. It isn't because you are blessed; it's because you worked hard and are qualified.

I want a place where I can have deep thoughts and the threads won't turn into a game of who is better.
I have always been an atheist. I am not mad at anyone for misleading me. I find the whole of religion laughable and truly do wonder why the fuck people still think any sort of religious propaganda is relative.
I believe most people need to have something to comfort them. Someone here has a tag or signature line that says religion is a drug. Yep. It is opiate for the masses. I know I use alcohol and weed for my comfort but I *know* it is for comfort, not a good thing necessarily but a comfort, nonetheless. I certainly don't let it dictate how I live my life, but a 10% tithing is required.

I am never offended. I do like to debate points but it is because I want more input for myself, I am a learner. I see both sides, every side. I am not black and white, I am shades of gray (not the book, I had this description of myself before book came out, copyright pending)

Just needed to clarify or expound. This is me.
Welcome. Jump right in.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Dodgy Welcome
Welcome

Looking forward on your input on things. So far I like the way you thinkTongue
[Image: 347]