Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is love?
What is love?
("Baby don't hurt me! No more!")

But seriously, what is love? On an empirical, scientific level, what is love, and why do we experience it? I can understand how on an evolutionary level we would see love between families and mates as beneficial to the propagation of our own species, but is it any deeper than that?

On another note, do soul mates exist? My ideological nature wants to believe that there's someone out there for everyone, and that we all have this deep, passionate love waiting to be unlocked by that special someone. (I also still think the existence of the soul is out there, but I have no evidence for or against it...)
Or is that bullshit, too?

Do we just settle for someone who's maybe-sorta-probably compatible with us and live life? That sounds boring...
RE: What is love?
"Love" is the same as "hate" and "desire" and every other "feeling".

It's all chemicals.
God nads, not THIS again.

Ok, here, for the final time, is EXACTLY what love is:

Definition: Love is the situation that exists when another person's happiness is essential to your own.

Check Of Definition: If another person's happiness is NOT essential to your own (in other words, if their happiness makes you hostile, indifferent, angry - anything but happy) then you cannot be said to 'love' them without stretching the idea of 'love' out of all recognizable shape.

This definition applies to all forms and conditions of love imaginable by human beings.

Next tired, old question, please.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ok, here, for the final time, is EXACTLY what love is:

Definition: Love is the situation that exists when another person's happiness is essential to your own.

Boru

Correction:

Co-dependency is the situation that exists when another person's happiness is essential to your own.
Quote:Co-dependency is the situation that exists when another person's happiness is essential to your own.

No, because co-dependency involves a measure of control exerted by one of the parties involved. Love, properly speaking, does not.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm one who confuses lust with love, I think. The dating pool is better without me in it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(January 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Co-dependency is the situation that exists when another person's happiness is essential to your own.

No, because co-dependency involves a measure of control exerted by one of the parties involved. Love, properly speaking, does not.

Boru

My happiness is unaffected by the status of that of my spouse, and yet I "love" her dearly. I can empathize with her if she is suffering, but my "happiness" is independent of hers, and is not co-dependent upon hers.
Quote:My happiness is unaffected by the status of that of my spouse, and yet I "love" her dearly. I can empathize with her if she is suffering, but my "happiness" is independent of hers, and is not co-dependent upon hers.

Then turn it around. If you wife is temporarily miserable, is you own happiness unaffected during that time? If so, I'm unsure how you can say that you 'love' her, and but be happy when she is not.

Boru
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!! Haddaway will now be in my head for a week and this isn't even the addicting songs thread!
(January 12, 2014 at 5:46 pm)cato123 Wrote: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!! Haddaway will now be in my head for a week and this isn't even the addicting songs thread!

*drapes arm around Cato's shoulder*

You're not alone..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura