Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satanic Temple Unveils Monument Design
Satanic Temple Unveils Monument Design
[Image: 1389373687.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg]
Looks pretty awesome to me! You will even be able to sit on Satan's lap for inspiration.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/10/why_this...t_partner/
RE: Satanic Temple Unveils Monument Design
Salon.com Wrote:... Pastafarians, another fake religion that pretends to worship a deity called the Flying Spaghetti Monster, get some of their licks in, as well. Recently, Christopher Schaeffer, a minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, was elected to the Pomfret, N.Y. town council. He insisted on being sworn in wearing a colander on his head, a clear mockery of the various religious rites that are used to swear people into office .... [M]ost governments will let you swear in with any religious tradition you want, which is why Schaeffer was allowed to do the colander stunt in the first place. Still, the prank makes an important point about how, even with the religious tolerance built into the swearing-in ceremony, the ceremony still reinforces the idea that religious beliefs should play an important part of one’s role as a politician. That alone should trouble us, because ideally, leaders of a secular society would leave their religious beliefs at the door and choose to govern not by religious faith, but by reason and an interest in representing all their constituents, regardless of belief, equally.

After all, most of us are hired for jobs and do those jobs without anyone mentioning our religious beliefs at all, because they are irrelevant to the work we do. Why then do politicians in a supposedly secular government have to make a fuss over their religion right from the beginning? Wouldn’t be better if everyone just made a secular promise to do their jobs properly, putting them all on the same page?
(emphasis mine)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 12, 2014 at 11:53 pm)EgoRaptor Wrote:

Looks pretty awesome to me! You will even be able to sit on Satan's lap for inspiration.
Sure, why the hell not?
"I got this t-shirt that reads 'I sat in Satan's lap' and all it cost me was my soul. Sweet!"
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 13, 2014 at 2:51 pm)rasetsu Wrote:
Salon.com Wrote:Why then do politicians in a supposedly secular government have to make a fuss over their religion right from the beginning?

I'll take "Because they're assholes" for $800, Alex.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iran unveils a memorial honoring Jewish heroes Mystic 2 1481 December 20, 2014 at 10:57 am
Last Post: dyresand
  7 Shot to Death at Wisconsin Sikh Temple KnockEmOuttt 29 10842 August 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Mormon temple garments Justtristo 9 5426 January 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  £16m Hindu temple opens in Wembley Welsh cake 17 11256 June 4, 2010 at 8:53 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko