Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama gives lobbyists the boot
Obama gives lobbyists the boot
Obama has issued an executive order barring registered lobbyists from serving in advisory committees related to their lobbying.

This is a baby step in a much bigger, longer battle, but I personally love it. Lobbyists are what's wrong with American politics, and the less power they have, the better.

Obama campaigned on the promise of reducing special interest influence and increasing transparancy in government. He hasn't done much up until now, but if this is what we can expect, I can't wait to see what he does next.
- Meatball
RE: Obama gives lobbyists the boot
Lobbyists are one part of the battle. What is far more important is the simple fact that Congressmen and Senators have to spend so much of their time raising funds for their next election. The lobbyists supply that money in large chunks.

Bribery should be illegal but somehow when it is called campaign "contributions" that makes it alright.
I don't think corporations or anything other than individuals should be able to contribute to campaigns. A corporation is not a person and cannot approve or disapprove of a person's poltical stance.
- Meatball
(November 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm)Meatball Wrote: I don't think corporations or anything other than individuals should be able to contribute to campaigns. A corporation is not a person and cannot approve or disapprove of a person's political stance.

I agree,IF you are going to have privately funded elections. I think funding should be limited and provided by government. Media should be obliged by law to give free equal time to minor parties,in prime time.

My understanding is that the obscene amount of ONE BILLION DOLLARS was spent on the last US election campaign.

Lobbying is a corrupt practice and should be banned.I look forward to seeing a fly by over Washington of the US Army Air Force's Flying Pig Squadron when that happens.
Quote:My understanding is that the obscene amount of ONE BILLION DOLLARS was spent on the last US election campaign.

Problem is, Pad, that it is one of our few growth industries.
(November 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm)Meatball Wrote: Obama has issued an executive order barring registered lobbyists from serving in advisory committees related to their lobbying.

This is a baby step in a much bigger, longer battle, but I personally love it. Lobbyists are what's wrong with American politics, and the less power they have, the better.

Obama campaigned on the promise of reducing special interest influence and increasing transparancy in government. He hasn't done much up until now, but if this is what we can expect, I can't wait to see what he does next.

This is a small and welcome step. One that is absolutely needed, however, we all know that it's only a matter of time before they find a way around this "executive order." This is what they do, find the loophole and milk it for all it's worth.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Lobbyists are like parasites. Make the environment hostile to them, and either they will die and drop away or find a new orifice to infest.

Why don't we treat lobbyists attempting to find loopholes as maggots are to a wound. Track them, fix the wound, track them to the next. Rinse, repeat.
Quote:Why don't we treat lobbyists attempting to find loopholes as maggots are to a wound.

Because they deliver large amounts of cash.

That seems fairly simple. Corruption is always fairly simple.
Cash maggot: The only kind of maggot I would like to bathe in Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 30, 2009 at 4:56 am)Saerules Wrote: Cash maggot: The only kind of maggot I would like to bathe in Smile

I would still remain dubious at bathing in a cash maggot. After all, underneath, it's still a damn maggot.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1306 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Justice Obama? BrianSoddingBoru4 33 1540 August 26, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michelle Obama Crushes It BrianSoddingBoru4 32 1562 August 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Obama Eulogizes Elijah Cummings AFTT47 2 564 October 26, 2019 at 3:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP: Obama's nose is growing John V 113 9384 September 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 2011 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  One Reason Trump is Intent on Reversing Everything Obama Did Rhondazvous 9 1306 November 6, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 14977 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  My favorite phrase: What if Obama had done this? NuclearEnergy 9 3184 June 21, 2017 at 12:44 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Chelsea Manning, a hero, thanks Obama Foxaèr 3 1113 June 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr