Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another Conversion Story~
Yet Another Conversion Story~
I did a little bit of lurking and read a few of the other posts, and well, like them, I too was raised as a christian, moreso, a catholic.

I was enrolled in a protestant middle/high school for 2 years though.
I was forced to study the bible, and 2 different variations, 2 different dogma, 2 different viewpoints with equal blindness to dissenting viewpoints.
Because I learned both viewpoints, and absorbed copious amounts of information, I'm able to understand and debate my point whilst understanding the viewpoint of the typical christian. Using their own circular reasoning against them. (but then again, I was debating with teenagers, not experienced adults)

I make it sound way more dramatic than it sounds.
However, up until I went into college a few months ago, i was a regular at my catholic church.
I spent 5 hours each sunday in the youth group.
I was stealthy, i spent every moment hating their illogic, and blatant disregard for the fundamentals of science. They just thought of me as the kid who didnt talk. When they talked to me, I smiled and replied jovially. I did everything I was asked, and even spoke at the front of the church once, charismatic and smilling. I knew all the biblical facts and trivia, the priests and deacons were impressed by me, and even invited me to become a priest myself. (I obviously declined

They never caught on to my true nature, neither did my father.
Noone ever realized that I had believed science was my way of life, and that my surreptition was just an act. I guess I was good at it, but I didn't want to be hated, I liked that false friendship.
But it taught me a lot about the ways of christianity.
Its circular argument.
Its convoluted doctrines.
Its hateful splinter groups which bicker among eachother over authority.

Though I do dislike christianity, I accept some parts as logical.
Morality is an invention created by mankind in my opinion. We created these values ourselves.
I agree with some of the christian morals, such as peace among mankind.
I like those parts which promote general wellbeing in society, people should not steal or kill each other. (Unless this was a Fyodor Dostoyevsky Novel of course, haha)
I dislike the parts which go against the fundamentals of science and logic.
Such as miracles and acts of god, and perhaps creationism.
I'm not sure about creationism, maybe a sentient being did create the universe?
I'm not sure how to prove or disprove that, but evolution is a true fact.

I also think there is a god, or gods.
Beings which transcend humanity.
I just can't be sure. But one thing that can be certain, is that the god of Christianity is very implausible.
The god of christianity is based on human standards, and I don't believe that a god would act in such a way. How can I back that statement up... hmm...
Omniscience and Omnipotence just disprove themselves. Agh, I can't put my thoughts into words, it's 4:26 am here. >.o

I think I'm ranting too much, but there's my conversion story.
In summation: when science began to disprove religion.
I decided to choose the scientific route, and I havent regretted it since~
Humanity has become too complacent, the only limits which exist are the limits we create.
RE: Yet Another Conversion Story~
But you were never religious? Unless you are saying you converted from nothing to Atheism?

I very much respect your opinion there, whilst wanting to say... you can never understand Christianity from the outside like that. Knowing the bible and several church doctrines inside out doesn't make you 1% Christian.. would you agree?

<edit> BTW people have tried and failed here to prove that omnipotence and Omniscience disprove themselves. Check out the debate forum.
This is probably the most moving post I have ever read. I have huge respect for you, Boxxy, and for the harrowing journey you have made all on your own. Clap
There are many, many wise heads here to whom you can turn and who will listen respectfully. Use us. But from what you wrote, you are pretty strong on your own.
Good luck!
Only sheep need a shepherd.
Hmmm, you definitely have a point.
I think I was religious when I was young.

You're also right with your second point, and I do agree.

Ahhh, i see.
I'll check it out. 0:

EDIT: Thanks pope alfred!~
Hahaha, you have a funny avatar xD
Humanity has become too complacent, the only limits which exist are the limits we create.
No - that's really him!!! Wink
fr0d0, wow, I'm down to the third post in that debate you mentioned.

I was thinking along the lines of the rock fallacy, which I had heard before.
I can see what you're saying now!

Wow, its so logical and well worded. o_o
(November 29, 2009 at 6:27 am)fr0d0 Wrote: No - that's really him!!! Wink
True. And fr0d0's likewise. Big Grin
Only sheep need a shepherd.
(November 29, 2009 at 6:33 am)BoxxyBabee Wrote: fr0d0, wow, I'm down to the third post in that debate you mentioned.

I was thinking along the lines of the rock fallacy, which I had heard before.
I can see what you're saying now!

Wow, its so logical and well worded. o_o
Which post are you talking about? Arcanus' or mine? P
I believe it was yours. 0:
Cool Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Conversion - De-conversion *Long* rskovride 9 3293 March 4, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1739 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1912 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5280 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4523 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4538 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2300 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3325 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My de-converted re-conversion Rarthyr500 47 12949 December 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  anyone buy a drone yet? Jextin 0 758 December 4, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Jextin