Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm an atheist but I quite like Buddism...
I'm an atheist but I quite like Buddism...
As the thread subject states, I am an atheist but there are lots of things about Buddism I like - meditation, self discovery, presence of mind, the idea of a higher state of consciousness etc.

Do you guys think I am mad for this? I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the atheist community on this topic.
RE: I'm an atheist but I quite like Buddism...
What is self discovery? Is that something you do with a box of tissues and a laptop?

Most of this stuff sounds like bollocks to me, but if you enjoy and it gives you pleasure then why not.
I think you care too much about what we think.
There are lots of atheist Buddhists.
(February 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Insanity Wrote: I think you care too much about what we think.

Not at all. Just interested that's all. Smile
(February 6, 2014 at 6:43 pm)dscross Wrote:
(February 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Insanity Wrote: I think you care too much about what we think.

Not at all. Just interested that's all. Smile

Fair enough, it's not my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat..
(February 6, 2014 at 6:42 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: There are lots of atheist Buddhists.

That's true. I do know a couple who are quite hostile to it though, which is why I'm interested to hear what the majority think.
I practice yoga, and find I get a lot out of it, but other than that, I think it's woo for the most part, and have a hard time taking it seriously.

You know Buddhists who are hostile to atheism? Or atheists who are hostile to Buddhism?
I like Buddhism to a point. I would never be one though.

Buddhism as just a lifestyle, the eightfold path, compassion, meditation, is all well and good. However, Buddhism is more than that. It is a set of beliefs about the ultimate nature of human reality, and how to behave based on those base realities. The lifestyle can be fine, friendly, and healthy. The religion, that which wants to impose that view of reality on its followers and others, that's something else. If Buddhists had good reasons to believe these things, that would be one thing; then it would be the science of Buddhism. But they really don't, and so it becomes the dogma of Buddhism: "Believe this because I'm telling you to believe it."

Westerners are typically introduced to Buddhism as "just a lifestyle," and it only hardens into dogma as they get deeper into it. And it happens slowly enough that western Buddhists don't see the change, and will deny it. But after a while in Buddhism, even western Buddhists come to an unflappable belief that their Buddhist notions are truth with a capital 'T', and the social and psychological mechanisms necessary to maintain that belief, are, to me, unhealthy, and oppressive to those around them.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]