Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:15 am

Poll: Positive Atheism logical?
This poll is closed.
Yes
45.45%
10 45.45%
No
54.55%
12 54.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Positive Atheism
Smile 
Positive Atheism
I used to be a Postive Atheist before being set into Agnostic Atheism.

Every week, I watch (rather download the week's new video) of the Atheist-Experience (www.atheist-experience.com , archive section). This show is ran by Positive Atheists, meaning that they believe that gods do not exist, rather than just not believing in a god.

They make good points in thier discussions, and I really like thier logic on everything they talk about.

Sooo, Is Positive Atheism logical? Is Positive Atheism faith based just like religion?
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: Positive Atheism
It's asserting an equivalent claim to gnostic (aka: positive?) theism.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The thing with positive atheism is that it makes naive statements like gnostic theism, "strong" statements that leave no room for further judgment or reasoning.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Though I understand the position of strong/positive atheism, there is the problem of trying to prove a negative.

I do believe that gods do not exist just like I do believe that goblin's do not exist, or fairies, or mermaids. However it is impossible to prove that any of them do not exist. To me it is logically more valid to hold the position that I don't believe in the claim of an existence of any of these things.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
So, positive atheists are nearly on the same faith level as someone of any other religion? I used to be positive atheistic but, I was set straight on that upon entering the AF.
--- RDW, 17
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
I'm going to say "no", because it seems to me like you are talking about gnostic atheism, and gnostic atheism is logically fallacious because you can't prove a negative... that's a logical fallacy.

EvF
The Earth is not the centre of the Solar System.
(December 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm)Joe Bloe Wrote: The Earth is not the centre of the Solar System.

Of course it is, the rest of the universe is making concentric circles around it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 2, 2009 at 1:45 pm)leo-rcc Wrote:
(December 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm)Joe Bloe Wrote: The Earth is not the centre of the Solar System.

Of course it is, the rest of the universe is making concentric circles around it.

Indeed. And all of the stars were placed in the sky so that we might be able to discern our fate from the stars.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Thank ya. Yes, the universe obviously revolves around Earth.
--- RDW, 17