Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Just wanted to get something out there and perhaps there are people who might look and feel something vaguely similar....?
I have been a Christian since I can remember, brought up Baptist converted to Catholic (from a mixed background) but over the last few years since I got married and had a daughter I have realised things are really different. It's hard to pin the process down of exactly when you lose your faith but a big part of it for me is to do with knowledge, and actually actively seeking knowledge about the past and the history of the bible. Some of the threads are interesting for me here as they reflect some feelings that are very familiar. I have basically taken a BIG interest in religion since I had to face the fact that my daughter should be raised to believe in god, and then promptly felt an overwhelming feeling that I just could not put her through the kind of 'brainwashing' that I have experienced my whole life without fully understanding why I should do this. The result of this exploration so far is that I cannot find any reason to believe in the Christian story as anything more than a story, a good story, but not something that I could ever believe (now) as fact.
Is this hard...Very... but at least I feel resolved enough to post this and I feel a certain weight lifting just writing this. As someone has said in another post it is often very hard to leave a Christian life behind as most of your friends and relatives DO NOT get this and their first instinct is to save you.
Anyway, HI![/size][/font]
RE: New member
Hi and welcome! Please, stay a while. I hear they have cookies here (though I've never received one).
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Cookies?? Where??

Welcome! Smile
Welcome. I only have NutriGrain bars. Sad

Have patience in the journey. Ask questions.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
You can't think too much. Churches hate it when you do and they are right to fear.

Welcome aboard.
Welcome. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

The cookies can be found at the pot dispensary.
Welcome

Have a Cookie
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think I've got some M&Ms in the cupboard...

Welcome, OP!
Welcome.

It can be a hard thing to do, giving up your religion, but it's worthwhile, as far as I'm concerned.

Fortunately, the majority of regular believers here are good people (which the occasional drive-by idiot appearing to drive down the combined IQ of the boards by several points - but they tend not to last long).
Dying to live, living to die.
I have no food for you.... but welcome!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---