Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technically Truthful
Technically Truthful
So my mum has asked on several different occasions usually after trying and failing to set me up if I'm gay. As a bisexual is it lying to say no? My rule is don't tell her if she doesn't ask specifically.
RE: Technically Truthful
It's 50% truthful. That's more truthful than I would have been if someone had asked me directly before I was ready to come out to them.
Just rephrase the question to her and immediately answer it.

"Do I like girls instead of Guys? No mom not at all"

First statement, not an accurate description, so second statement claiming such totally true. Shifty, but true.
(February 28, 2014 at 12:53 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: So my mum has asked on several different occasions usually after trying and failing to set me up if I'm gay. As a bisexual is it lying to say no? My rule is don't tell her if she doesn't ask specifically.
I think it's lying, because you're mom is obviously trying to find out if you're a Christian "defective," and you obviously are (talking from that perspective, here, not mine). You are covering the fact that you are by taking her question literally.

That being said, it's not the children's duty to protect the bigoted and small-minded world view of the parents-- even if they've come by it honestly. I recommend lying as a way to avoid a confrontation that you can't possibly win. I don't know if you are male or female, if you have any opposite-gendered friends who are willing to play along, you might even want to play pretend for a while-- drama it up as much as you can. Smile
(February 28, 2014 at 12:53 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: So my mum has asked on several different occasions usually after trying and failing to set me up if I'm gay. As a bisexual is it lying to say no? My rule is don't tell her if she doesn't ask specifically.

I'm trying to understand why you being bisexual is an issue when your mother is trying to set you up. She might only be playing with half the deck, but dudes are still in play right? What I'm saying is that as a bisexual, men aren't off limits correct? So there must be other reasons for you mother's failed attempts at match maker.

Perhaps I simply don't understand. My assumption is that a bisexual is perfectly capable of a loving, committed, and sexually intimate relationship with another, but gender is irrlevant. Choices may be different if you want to raise children of your own I suppose. Even then, there are ways to accomodate a same sex relationship.

I could be assuming too much, but it almost sounds as if you're looking for a reason to divulge your sexual orientation. I don't mean this in a mean spirited way. I can only imagine how difficult this will be for you if you think your mother will be less than understanding. Prescient needs are often required to help incentivize the last step in executing any unpleasent endeavor.
(February 28, 2014 at 7:38 am)Cato Wrote:

I'm trying to understand why you being bisexual is an issue when your mother is trying to set you up. She might only be playing with half the deck, but dudes are still in play right? What I'm saying is that as a bisexual, men aren't off limits correct? So there must be other reasons for you mother's failed attempts at match maker.

Perhaps I simply don't understand. My assumption is that a bisexual is perfectly capable of a loving, committed, and sexually intimate relationship with another, but gender is irrlevant. Choices may be different if you want to raise children of your own I suppose. Even then, there are ways to accomodate a same sex relationship.

I could be assuming too much, but it almost sounds as if you're looking for a reason to divulge your sexual orientation. I don't mean this in a mean spirited way. I can only imagine how difficult this will be for you if you think your mother will be less than understanding. Prescient needs are often required to help incentivize the last step in executing any unpleasent endeavor.
That's not the issue at all, my mother is one of those people who can't see life past being with a man so my explaining to her that I'm not up to dating right now for various reasons (college, life adjustments etc) isn't good enough for her. So she keeps tossing dorks who work with her or some of her friends sons in my path. Of course she gets irritated when I send them all away. She knows my besties are gay (she doesn't approve) which is why she keeps asking.