Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Borderline Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
First: Don't care who you are. You start shit in this thread, you make an enemy out of me. I'm not in the mood to be dealing with internet pissing contests, I'm not inviting a discussion as to whether or not mental disorders are illnesses or diseases or what the fuck ever else these threads devolve into here, and I am not inviting eugenics horse-shit into this.

Second: This is a thread made partially out of curiosity, and asks a few simple questions. I included the poll to give me some idea of numbers. Namely, do you have BPD? Suspect it? Have others telling you you have it possibly? Known anyone else who has it? If you have it, how do you deal with it, at all, and if you don't have it but know someone who does, what's it like dealing with them, how old are they, how often do you see them?

Third: Partially out of curiosity, mostly because of 'personal interest.'

And a personality test I took this week at the head-doc's.

And the results it came up with.

So much for just having bipolarity...
RE: Borderline Personality Disorder
I don't have it, as far as I know, but I dated a few guys who I'd classify as having it. Just from researching it myself, the 'symptoms' seem to match them, pretty well. Personality disorders are very real and affect a wide range of people. I think they don't get enough visibility, and therefore, they are not treated as real conditions often enough. Narcissistic personality disorder, histrionic disorder, BPD, etc..affect a lot of people in society. Once you understand the disorder, you tend to see patterns in others you may meet that have similar characteristics. In answer to your question in #2, the guys I dated who I suspected had BPD, one was in his late 20's, the other late 30's. Personality disorders usually start in childhood, preteen years, and are hard to treat. Which is why you can meet someone with a personality disorder who's the tender age of 17, and another who is 60. But, at the risk of spiraling off into a tangent, that you have requested we NOT do.... Big Grin

Anyway, so, Creed, you were 'tested' for this? You don't have it, I take. It's hard to pin point these as diagnoses. Do you/your doc/others in your life feel you might have this, and thus that prompted the testing? Just curious on that.
I've posted about my grandmother on this forum before. It seems likely she has BPD, narcissistic personality disorder, bipolar disorder, or something like that. She's been diagnosed with everything under the sun because she switches therapists all the time when they don't behave the way she wants them to. It's hard to pin things down with her because of her alcohol and prescription drug abuse and the depression that she's been in for 24 years. It's just not clear what is the result of a personality disorder and what is the result of an addiction or the depression. Apparently there was once a time when she was a magnetic, inspiring person that everyone wanted to be around - but even then she had a tendency towards substance abuse, impulsiveness, taking off unexpectedly (while she had a child, no less), etc. I wish I had known her when she wasn't determined to accomplish her own complete destruction.
I do not have it, as far as I know. However, throughout my course of treatment for what I do have - inpatient and group therapy are good for this - I have run into just about every psychiatric, mood, and personality disorder that you could think of, including several people with BPD.

I haven't known anyone on a personal level, as far as I know, though when I was younger, I knew a few people who were possible candidates. Ultimately, I dealt with it by cutting all ties to them. I didn't have the skills needed to deal with that sort of personality.

These days, I don't know how I would deal with it. I generally avoid most people these days.

And Creed. as far as any new diagnosis - bipolar disorder is often co-morbid with other disorders. You are who you are - the diagnosis doesn't change that. It may alter the course of treatment but at the end of the day it is what it is, our lives go on, and we deal the best we can.
(March 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: First: Don't care who you are. You start shit in this thread, you make an enemy out of me.

And... now you've interested me. Oh dear.

Quote:I'm not in the mood to be dealing with internet pissing contests, I'm not inviting a discussion as to whether or not mental disorders are illnesses or diseases or what the fuck ever else these threads devolve into here, and I am not inviting eugenics horse-shit into this.

Are you sure? Your statements kind of make me want to bring every one of these things into this thread

... You realize that 'no trespassing' signs invite such things, don't you? Sleepy

Quote:Second: This is a thread made partially out of curiosity, and asks a few simple questions. I included the poll to give me some idea of numbers. Namely, do you have BPD? Suspect it? Have others telling you you have it possibly? Known anyone else who has it? If you have it, how do you deal with it, at all, and if you don't have it but know someone who does, what's it like dealing with them, how old are they, how often do you see them?

I make threads out of curiosity all of the time... they tend to unravel.

Quote:Third: Partially out of curiosity, mostly because of 'personal interest.'

And a personality test I took this week at the head-doc's.

And the results it came up with.

So much for just having bipolarity...

I love testing! Mad Scientist

http://toddsnider.bandcamp.com/track/i-cant-complain
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 1, 2014 at 4:54 pm)Alice Wrote: And... now you've interested me. Oh dear.

Hey, get 'em out of the gates running and all that. *chuckles*

Quote:Are you sure? Your statements kind of make me want to bring every one of these things into this thread

But thankfully you realized I was being serious about the first part, valued my friendship, and decided you weren't going to, which is great because I value yours as well. Big Grin

Quote:... You realize that 'no trespassing' signs invite such things, don't you? Sleepy

Yeah, the sign that was under it describing what happens to trespassers kinda fell off. But I had to make sure the message got through, I don't ask people for much, I don't ask for help and I only take it if it's freely offered. So, I'm just asking that this thread please not turn into what every other thread about DSM-4/5 classifications has in the past? This is not a thread for people to voice their opinions about the classification system or its term or name or whatever. This is something I've been reading a lot about last few days ever since I finally decided to listen to that insistent little whisper from that stubborn Vox Ratio and started reflecting, remembered some of my psychology classes in high school. I'd loved the class, hung on to every word, did the AP one for three years after the first year of standard. It was called emotional instability disorder before. Diagnosis requires 5 out of 9 markers.

I match, every. Single. Last...one. It'd been getting worse over the years. Good thing I started undergoing treatment for the bipolarity...which is a comorbid symptom of borderline. Along with anxiety, social panic, in unfamiliar environments with large numbers of strangers, of course. But there's others that fit more. Far more comorbid conditions I can identify as a part of my personality than ones I can't. I'm not self-diagnosing, guys. I spoke to a psychologist as well, she agrees with my psychiatrist on her diagnosis.

And, you know what's really great, if you look on Wikipedia....here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality...ssociation American Psychiatric Association, Cluster B. I am listed alongside this shit.

Quote:Antisocial personality disorder: a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, lack of empathy
Borderline is in this category? What's ne- Oh! OH! Oh good! Histrionic. Extreme attention-seeking behavior. More mellow at least. Except then narcissism is in this group. Not knocking anyone with any of these...quite the opposite, what you've got, I know enough about to say I'm sorry for the problem you got dumped on you. Fuck knows I don't want this one on me.

This is about something that has come to light only very, very recently, and with some fucking atrocious timing. I was facing something that would have been pervasive, but treatable and manageable, and wouldn't define me, but this... Treatment is a...well, more complicated sort of thing.

So. I am asking very sincerely for this thread to not go "there." You know where. Scorn my sincerity and you're on my shitlist, permanently, just to everyone in general. Sorry, but I'm just a bit on edge right now and am trying to not add more bullshit to my platter than I can process as mere humor.

Quote:I love testing! Mad Scientist

http://toddsnider.bandcamp.com/track/i-cant-complain

Right?!
I've been friends with a person who had BPD. Her constantly being in crisis drove us apart. I show some of the signs of BPD, but I'm not full blown. But I can be quite dramatic, as I'm sure you've seen. Sad part about BPD is it's one of the harder things to treat. If I had any advice, it's get yourself in a group or individual therapy circumstance you like, and stay there. DBT is the most common treatment for BPD (if I have the letters right; dialectical behavior therapy).

I wish you luck. It's a hard road.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 1, 2014 at 4:11 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: These days, I don't know how I would deal with it. I generally avoid most people these days.

Yeah people suck. Get a dog.

(March 1, 2014 at 4:11 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: And Creed. as far as any new diagnosis - bipolar disorder is often co-morbid with other disorders. You are who you are - the diagnosis doesn't change that. It may alter the course of treatment but at the end of the day it is what it is, our lives go on, and we deal the best we can.

Words to live by.

So I hope you're coping with the challenge, Creed. You seem like a fine guy to me, all diagnoses aside.
(March 1, 2014 at 8:54 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Hey, get 'em out of the gates running and all that. *chuckles*

Absolutely Big Grin

Quote:But thankfully you realized I was being serious about the first part, valued my friendship, and decided you weren't going to, which is great because I value yours as well. Big Grin

Not actually my thought process. I was bored, and realized that you weren't much fun to laugh at. So I laughed at someone else Smile

Quote:Yeah, the sign that was under it describing what happens to trespassers kinda fell off. But I had to make sure the message got through, I don't ask people for much, I don't ask for help and I only take it if it's freely offered. So, I'm just asking that this thread please not turn into what every other thread about DSM-4/5 classifications has in the past? This is not a thread for people to voice their opinions about the classification system or its term or name or whatever. This is something I've been reading a lot about last few days ever since I finally decided to listen to that insistent little whisper from that stubborn Vox Ratio and started reflecting, remembered some of my psychology classes in high school. I'd loved the class, hung on to every word, did the AP one for three years after the first year of standard. It was called emotional instability disorder before. Diagnosis requires 5 out of 9 markers.

Have you considered that there might be a reason these threads go that way? Sleepy

Quote:I match, every. Single. Last...one. It'd been getting worse over the years. Good thing I started undergoing treatment for the bipolarity...which is a comorbid symptom of borderline. Along with anxiety, social panic, in unfamiliar environments with large numbers of strangers, of course. But there's others that fit more. Far more comorbid conditions I can identify as a part of my personality than ones I can't. I'm not self-diagnosing, guys. I spoke to a psychologist as well, she agrees with my psychiatrist on her diagnosis.

Yes, that's good. Well, not good. Well... maybe.

Quote:And, you know what's really great, if you look on Wikipedia....here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality...ssociation American Psychiatric Association, Cluster B. I am listed alongside this shit.

Quote:Antisocial personality disorder: a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, lack of empathy
Borderline is in this category? What's ne- Oh! OH! Oh good! Histrionic. Extreme attention-seeking behavior. More mellow at least. Except then narcissism is in this group. Not knocking anyone with any of these...quite the opposite, what you've got, I know enough about to say I'm sorry for the problem you got dumped on you. Fuck knows I don't want this one on me.

I'm too pretty to be a narcissist. Skunk

Quote:This is about something that has come to light only very, very recently, and with some fucking atrocious timing. I was facing something that would have been pervasive, but treatable and manageable, and wouldn't define me, but this... Treatment is a...well, more complicated sort of thing.

So. I am asking very sincerely for this thread to not go "there." You know where. Scorn my sincerity and you're on my shitlist, permanently, just to everyone in general. Sorry, but I'm just a bit on edge right now and am trying to not add more bullshit to my platter than I can process as mere humor.

I won't be here from after today (probably) until mid-late august, if not later. I don't have the time or energy to spend it on this Smile

Quote:Right?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnTJcjPhY
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote:

Moses had fewer rules.