Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a game
How to make a game
Hey people, time to leech from a community I barely contribute to besides lurking and the occasional thumbs up!

So I have a good idea for a PC game. Simply put, I simply have no idea where to start making it. Something tells me my Python Pygame module won't be enough. I need some platform/engine that's 3d and can handle event triggers and such (functions and arguments for the object oriented people out there).

That leads me to the next problem. I only know Python, the cmd commands (.bat files and the like) and a funny visual basic msgbox prank.

How can I do this?
IN SACULA SAECULORUM
RE: How to make a game
(March 10, 2014 at 9:41 pm)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote: Hey people, time to leech from a community I barely contribute to besides lurking and the occasional thumbs up!

So I have a good idea for a PC game. Simply put, I simply have no idea where to start making it. Something tells me my Python Pygame module won't be enough. I need some platform/engine that's 3d and can handle event triggers and such (functions and arguments for the object oriented people out there).

That leads me to the next problem. I only know Python, the cmd commands (.bat files and the like) and a funny visual basic msgbox prank.

How can I do this?

Blender is open source so it gets better with updated versions, but if you are a gamer then Blender is the best choice, it has a built in game engine that works like a wysiwyg, no programming required, in realitme. If you need to extend it you can add some scripts as well, If you discover something in the game you don't like, just stop the game engine, edit your 3-D world and restart. This way you can drastically cut down your development time! When you are finished with your game or sim you can compile with the Blender interface. It supports skeletal animation as well. Check out the thread here on my virtual fish.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-24569.html
manowar
Unity is a decent programme, and they do have a free version available. There's a bit of a learning curve (steep) but once you master it the tool can do just about anything for you.
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
My dad has been developing a game for a while now, and he recommended Unreal Engine.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

There's this - Beginning Game Programming with C#. Shit'll run on XBox so it's got that going for it and shit.
I am like God and God like me.
I am as Large as God, He is as small as I.
He cannot above me, nor I beneath him be. - Angelus Silesius

"From each according to their motherfucking ability bitches and to each according to their goddam need fuckers. Which part of The Word you fuckers don't get?" - Jesus
Not a programmer, but I've read that this is a pretty good deal.

https://deals.cultofmac.com/sales/become...in-no-time#
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal