Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does anything at all exist?
Why does anything at all exist?
This is what I want to know.
RE: Why does anything at all exist?
What kind of answer would be satisfactory to you?
Certainly not the one "Because you are here to ask the question" or "Why is there a universe? Because there is a universe".
I want to know why anything at all exists instead of absolutely NOTHING.
(March 13, 2014 at 4:40 am)Alex K Wrote: What kind of answer would be satisfactory to you?

A satisfactory answer.

Tongue
Possibly because something had to. According to Professor Krauss nothing(ness) is unstable in quantum physics. Particles and sub-particles are constantly appearing out of nothing.

I have to be honest and say I don't understand any of that - but that appears to be what physicists are saying for what its worth.

Right now I have to ask the question in return - what is wrong with saying we don't know?

We know the universe exists at some level - there's not much more we do know about it, certainly not the why's and the wherefore's.

I guess what I am saying is - we'd all like to know but however much we want to, we simply don't. There are theories (including God based ones) but they are all just that - theories.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Then I could ask why does quantum physics exist instead of nothing.
(March 13, 2014 at 4:54 am)tor Wrote: Then I could ask why does quantum physics exist instead of nothing.
That's true.

"Why" questions trick you into believing that they are valid questions, just because you can form them in the English language.
What exactly are you asking for when you ask "why"? Are you looking for a cause? Then you are out of luck, since cause and effect are only applicable in the macroscopic realm within our universe. A logical necessity of some sort? There may not be one, see why ontological arguments fail - they might fail for the universe as a whole just as they fail for god figures. Logical conclusions need premises or axioms, and you will be begging the question at some point.
(March 13, 2014 at 4:54 am)tor Wrote: Then I could ask why does quantum physics exist instead of nothing.

I'm not sure it does, as such. It is merely the name for the method and attempts to describe certain phenomena.

In other words nothing(ness) is unstable and our explanation of that comes from the study referred to as Quantum Physics.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Yeah but there are in fact laws there to begin which which spawn something. Why are there laws instead of nothing? Anyway I get it nobody knows. Never mind.
Attempts to answer "why" are more often futile than not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1909 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5616 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2814 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8006 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 6737 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38400 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 17626 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 2941 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I am a pixieist, what do you think of my proof that universe creating pixies exist? Simon Moon 69 10500 November 13, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Expired