Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas?
Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas?
I build machines, am involved in design, and testing.
We make intensive effort to eliminate all randomness from our products.

Every machine begins with an idea and a bank of historical engineering knowledge, plus thousands of hours of development.
This is the real world.
Not the land of Academia.

Recently, one of the engineers said that a suggestion from the 6Sigma people was to take one of the bearings we are dealing with- walk it around the yard and put it back in the machine.
To test "Randomness". We all laughed at such idiocy.
Then, I thought- where would such a stupid idea come from?
Where else? From school.
Now, who is up for owning a Darwinmobile?
RE: Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas?
As far as using evolutionary techniques in engineering is concerned, it is done already, and successfully. Whatever you describe sounds like pure sillyness, either because it was, or because you yourself didn't understand the proposal. In any case, is your proud dismissal of academic achievements supposed to impress me?

Let's go about it this way: why don't you try to describe what you think Darwin's ideas are, and then we talk?
Alot of christians work just fine without their bearings.. well.....
Oh, you silly little man. You didn't bother looking up... anything, before you decided this was wrong, didn't you? Dodgy

Evolutionary algorithms in engineering programs.
Evolutionary algorithms in aeronautics.
Look all these papers on evolutionary algorithms in engineering!

This is what happens when you have no idea what you're talking about, but the strong belief that your ignorance is equal to the knowledge of real people. How embarrassing for you, "professor."
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
More often than not, ignorance begets confidence rather than knowledge. I think that's how the quote goes.

I'd drive any vehicle based on Darwin's ideas than one based on faith alone.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 13, 2014 at 9:48 am)professor Wrote:

I have two main problems with your post:

1. As an engineer, you must surely be aware of the staggering improvements in precision and accuracy offered by 'Lean/Sigma'-style methodologies? The lives saved as a result of improvements in both the automotive and aerospace industries alone demonstrate their value. That's about as real-world as you can get. Using a variety of testing including 'random' unit testing is extremely useful because you can't always predict or anticipate real-world pressures. By using randomness in testing, you can remove it from production and you can't improve the part or the process if you don't identify the variation.

2. Evolutionary models are what have led us to our current levels of engineering expertise: we've tried methods/parts/processes, used the ones that worked/gave us advantage and stopped using the ones that didn't work/didn't offer advantage. Irrespective of whether you use specific algorithms, your entire industry is based on a model of 'natural selection' very similar to the Darwinian model.

I think you need to go back to school.
Sum ergo sum
(March 13, 2014 at 9:48 am)professor Wrote: I build machines, am involved in design, and testing.

And what about you. Would you rather have a car built on biblical ideas? Obviously neither directly applies except for some wanker like you.
Any Ford Pintos on the road today?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 13, 2014 at 10:41 am)whateverist Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 9:48 am)professor Wrote: I build machines, am involved in design, and testing.

And what about you. Would you rather have a car built on biblical ideas? Obviously neither directly applies except for some wanker like you.

It would look like the Flintstones car.. cause u need ur feet free so u can back pedal ..
Cars are merely the latest example of humanity's ever-evolving attempt to build better personal transportation. Ideas are attempted and only the useful ones survive. So yes, I would like to drive a car which was designed according to principles analogous to natural selection.

If I wanted to transport myself according to a 'perfect Biblical design' that was there from the start, I would be walking everywhere I go and it would almost never be feasible for me to go more than a couple of miles away from home. Which, when you think about it, sums up the Biblical worldview rather perfectly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Meaningful ideas and quotes *Deidre* 606 67406 June 3, 2023 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  On whether the Word made flesh is a category mistake LinuxGal 2 466 November 17, 2022 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Should we discard achievements made by unlikable people? bennyboy 75 12000 January 17, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12171 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What would you do if you found out we are all in a sim? ignoramus 46 3585 October 9, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2104 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  Ideas of god? BrokenQuill92 0 981 January 10, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3994 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin