Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lifting heavy things up and then putting them down
Lifting heavy things up and then putting them down
For the last 4 months I've been trying to gain all the weight I lost last year back, only this time have it be muscle rather than fat =P.

Anybody else into worshipping at the alter of Brodin?

I noticed we have a (new?) member who's a bodybuilder and not a fan of cross-fit. And another guy who wants to go on a murderous rampage (and yet doesn't even squat).

I'm finding it hard to figure out what I'm sposed to be doing sometimes though, for instance I hurt my forearm (whilst doing curls for the girls). Sharp pain, became quite weak. According to the internet this is a very common problem and I should a) Give it a rest b) continue doing what I'm doing (like a man) and it will soon go away c) give that forearm extra work as its weakness is the cause of the injury d) use dumbbells instead, e) use ez curl bars instead. So, useless. Doctor said rest so, meh.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
RE: Lifting heavy things up and then putting them down
(March 20, 2014 at 11:41 am)Stue Denim Wrote: I'm finding it hard to figure out what I'm sposed to be doing sometimes though, for instance I hurt my forearm (whilst doing curls for the girls). Sharp pain, became quite weak. According to the internet this is a very common problem and I should a) Give it a rest b) continue doing what I'm doing (like a man) and it will soon go away c) give that forearm extra work as its weakness is the cause of the injury d) use dumbbells instead, e) use ez curl bars instead. So, useless. Doctor said rest so, meh.

Go with what the doctor said. The internet can give you any number of answers, and all or none of them may be correct.

When I hurt something at the gym, I don't continue to stress it out. Pain usually indicates that something is wrong - even sore muscles need to be rested a couple days to rebuild before you start tearing them up again.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I always go by the maxim "No pain....good."
(March 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I always go by the maxim "No pain....good."

That's no good at all, Min. Tongue I find pain can be quite pleasurable...just not in the gym sense.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Queen Kinky I!

Worship (large)
I do cross fit/ lift weights and have had bouts of forearm pain from benching. Just takes time to heal. It can also be an indicator of using poor form without realizing it.

Nice to see others who are into working out here! Smile
(March 20, 2014 at 11:41 am)Stue Denim Wrote: Anybody else into worshipping at the alter of Brodin?

I lift to control my fatass diabetic blood sugars. Just deadlifts these days. Best exercise there is. Hits all the big muscles and the core. Blew my back out on heavy squats once and other than lats and traps don't give a shit about the puny upper body muscles. I go after the big muscles to suck up the sugars. And I use a trap bar for deadlifts to keep my spine straight. Had a goal of lifting 500 at 50 yo but I been stuck at 405 forever.

Grog pick up big rock.
I am like God and God like me.
I am as Large as God, He is as small as I.
He cannot above me, nor I beneath him be. - Angelus Silesius

"From each according to their motherfucking ability bitches and to each according to their goddam need fuckers. Which part of The Word you fuckers don't get?" - Jesus
I always figure if you're not feeling the burn, you're not doing enough. If you're having sharp pains, you should stop.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I've been to the gym enough times to know that pain (burn as chad says) is good, but if the pain is causing your actual muscles to become weak (ie you can't lift what you normally would be able to and it's a sharp pain) then you've probably damaged whatever muscle it is. Give it a rest for a few days and it should be fine. A couple weeks back I tried lifting too much and my right arm basically gave way to any amount of weight. 3 or 4 days later I was ok though.
I would advise you to rest as well. I've been lifting on and off since 8th grade and dealt with the 'burn' plenty of times. However, as has been stated in this thread, if you're experiencing weakness on that level, losing power in lifts, etc. It's quite possible you tore something or overworked the muscle. If you want to keep lifting just focus more on lower body for a couple of days, or you could do some abdominal workouts as well.
~Lane~