Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scam Alert! Nanopharmacology!
Scam Alert! Nanopharmacology!
In much the same way that proponents of Creationism renamed their movement to Intelligent Design in a futile attempt at gaining respectability, it seems the Homeopathic movement has come up with a new buzz word to try and fool people into thinking it's a next generation technology, not only that, but nanotechnology.

Introducing Nanopharmacology:

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/nanopharmacology.php

They're trying to portray Homeopathy as a science that is in some way related to the genuine field of nano-technological research by claiming that the extremely diluted particles of whatever in the solution are actually nano-particles.

They also claim that it is intrinsically better for you not for the usual homeopathic reasons of water memory communicating with the body and passing on the properties of the ailment in the form of information to the body so it can know how to destroy the ailment, but that it is less prone to side effects - which is perfectly true considering that a solution that contains no molecules of the original active ingredient cannot possibly have side effects Tongue

Just to give you an idea of how nonsense the entire thing is, the first entry under the heading "Clinical Evidence" is not about evidence, but the fact that Homeopathy has been practiced since 19th century and also a claim that in the 19th century homeopathic remedies were often less fatal than conventional medicine, supported of course by no sources what-so-ever but i don't find it too hard to believe none the less, considering arsenic was a common treatment 200 years ago no medicine is probably the best way to go Smile

Then he has a study done by a homeopathic hospital, which is such an independent and unbiased source for a study into the validity of homeopathy, followed by some more bullshit studies with, surprise surprise, no sources.

The article is pretty good for a casual laugh Smile
RE: Scam Alert! Nanopharmacology!
'homeopathic' and 'hospital' aren't words that make sense next to each other... Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(December 28, 2009 at 6:30 am)Saerules Wrote: 'homeopathic' and 'hospital' aren't words that make sense next to each other... Smile

Not according to the NHS, unfortunately:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Homeopathy/...ility.aspx
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Well that's... unfortunate :S And just plain silly... :S

When a person needs to go to a hospital for something: they need a cure/whatever for their problem. Water is usually good of course... but it is hardly something one should need to go to a hospital for... :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(December 28, 2009 at 6:43 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: Not according to the NHS, unfortunately:
I'm afraid it's true. They'll waste money on this crap, but try to find an NHS dentist...
Only sheep need a shepherd.
Quote:While this skepticism of the efficacy of small doses of medicine is understandable from a strictly rational perspective, it ignores the large body of evidence from basic science, controlled clinical studies, epidemiological data, clinical outcomes trials, and historical review of the field.

Someone said the same thing on an examiner.com article of mine. I'm finding they often say they have studies to back up their claims, but when questioned, as I did the man on my article, they fail to produce these vast studies and data that shows the efficacy of homeopathy works. e_e

Same old silly nonsense.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Homeopathy is never going to be proven to work because the two main premises are both demonstrably false:

Premise 1) Like cures Like: This is the idea that a substance that causes symptoms in a person in good health will cure someone in bad health who is displaying the same symptoms.

Premise 2) Water has memory: This is the idea that water molecules are able to remember the properties of the substance that is proposed to cure the ailment by having the ingredient diluted repeatedly into the water until nomne of the activ ingredient is left. The water or whatever else the dilution medium might be is supposed to be able to communicate the information of the symptoms of the like substance to the body so it can learn how to identify and cure the original cause of the symptoms.

The BBC Horizon documentary with James Randi did a fantastic job in demonstrating the failure of this hypothesis.
I know, I'm just pointing out the whole "Aha! I have evidence!" "Great let's see it" *silence*
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Homeopath: We have anecdotes of people feeling better, who are you to argue with their interpretation?

ROFLOL
(December 28, 2009 at 7:14 am)Pope Alfred Wrote:
(December 28, 2009 at 6:43 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: Not according to the NHS, unfortunately:
I'm afraid it's true. They'll waste money on this crap, but try to find an NHS dentist...
I have an NHS dentist. There are two separate NHS dental clinics in my town, which is tiny in comparison to most towns. Course, I get completely free NHS dental work given my financial status as "more broke than Windows Vista".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nerd alert! There is no brown! Crap! ignoramus 15 1704 February 15, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: ignoramus