Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not an atheist, have a question.
Hi,

I'll get straight to the point.

If nothing keeps something from happening can it not happen?

If I let go of something in my hand, a pen lets say.. and there is absolutely nothing keeping it from falling to the ground, can it not fall? if yes Plz explain.

I'll keep going on the bases that the answer is "No"

The universe had a start, it took quite some time for earth to form and for life to exist... that -to me- does not make any sense at all..! Why wait?

Why did life not exist the way we know it here and now immediately after the big bang?Or why doesn't life exist as we know it here and now on the moon? mars? Why is there no intelligent life swimming in lava?

Most say: the right conditions are not met in all time and space for life to exist, yet this very strict and complicated conditions existed here on earth not so long ago.... it just confuses me more and more... conditions?????

When I let my imaginations run wild, some times I picture -like in some sci-fi novels- a very advanced intelligent marine sort of life deep down in the sea where no man have seen, we can never rule out its existence yes?

Lets say it does exist, one thing we know for sure is that they don't know about us as well, or they would have made contact. Their idea about the universe and all that is around would be so different than us, to them life does not exist outside the ocean! Why? cuz the conditions for "life" are not met outside the ocean, but they are wrong and we do exist, and we are very noticeable.

Now, how come there is no kind of "life" that has so different conditions than ours exist on the moon? an intelligent life that requires no H2o for instance, one which we can see very easily.

If I take a fish on dry land it would die very quickly, same would happen to me if sunk down the ocean without any O2. You see life has found a way to make many different beings who have "somewhat" different conditions of life here, yet it failed so miserably when you go a tiny TINY bit outside this TINY TINY rock we live on/in.

Why did one kind of life ONLY ONE! which share the same kind of conditions form on earth? you can find life on needle head but you can not find it swimming in an ocean of lava? Why is there no immortal living thing?

What kept all these "lifes" from happening? why did the pen fell only one time?

BTW English is not my 1st language, thank you.
RE: Not an atheist, have a question.
Welcome. Can you start by asking one question? That wall of text is too much to invest in without knowing you're going to stick around...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
ugh. Another one of these. It seems to me you want to debate without the hassle of other people pitching in. You made all your arguments to what you think will be the answers. I agree with steel.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Can u start over from hi, again
Not another one...

[Image: shoo_pirates_caribbean.gif]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
^ this
Some life is indeed immortal. There's a type of jellyfish, for instance, that can make itself young again. Some organisms can survive in extreme environments, like space; one that comes to mind is the Water Bear. Life is more diverse than first imagined, so much that scientists are now speculating about finding life on Titan.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Quote: Why wait?

Shouldn't you be asking your 'god' that question?
(March 26, 2014 at 7:18 pm)mohd.ktln Wrote: Hi,

I'll get straight to the point.

If nothing keeps something from happening can it not happen?

If I let go of something in my hand, a pen lets say.. and there is absolutely nothing keeping it from falling to the ground, can it not fall? if yes Plz explain.

I'll keep going on the bases that the answer is "No"

The universe had a start, it took quite some time for earth to form and for life to exist... that -to me- does not make any sense at all..! Why wait?

Why did life not exist the way we know it here and now immediately after the big bang?Or why doesn't life exist as we know it here and now on the moon? mars? Why is there no intelligent life swimming in lava?

Most say: the right conditions are not met in all time and space for life to exist, yet this very strict and complicated conditions existed here on earth not so long ago.... it just confuses me more and more... conditions?????

When I let my imaginations run wild, some times I picture -like in some sci-fi novels- a very advanced intelligent marine sort of life deep down in the sea where no man have seen, we can never rule out its existence yes?

Lets say it does exist, one thing we know for sure is that they don't know about us as well, or they would have made contact. Their idea about the universe and all that is around would be so different than us, to them life does not exist outside the ocean! Why? cuz the conditions for "life" are not met outside the ocean, but they are wrong and we do exist, and we are very noticeable.

Now, how come there is no kind of "life" that has so different conditions than ours exist on the moon? an intelligent life that requires no H2o for instance, one which we can see very easily.

If I take a fish on dry land it would die very quickly, same would happen to me if sunk down the ocean without any O2. You see life has found a way to make many different beings who have "somewhat" different conditions of life here, yet it failed so miserably when you go a tiny TINY bit outside this TINY TINY rock we live on/in.

Why did one kind of life ONLY ONE! which share the same kind of conditions form on earth? you can find life on needle head but you can not find it swimming in an ocean of lava? Why is there no immortal living thing?

What kept all these "lifes" from happening? why did the pen fell only one time?

BTW English is not my 1st language, thank you.

Life did not start immediately after the BB because there was only hydrogen and helium for billions of years.

It took billions of stars going supernova before heavier elements were available to create planets and life.

Didn't read too much of the remainder of your post, but I detected a bit of argument from ignorance. Seems you are saying, "I can't think of another way to explain this, a god must be responsible for life".

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
*sigh* Ok, I'll play.

Quote:If nothing keeps something from happening can it not happen?

No. If nothing prevents an occurrence, the occurrence becomes a necessity.

Quote:If I let go of something in my hand, a pen lets say.. and there is absolutely nothing keeping it from falling to the ground, can it not fall? if yes Plz explain.

The pen will fall.

Quote:The universe had a start, it took quite some time for earth to form and for life to exist... that -to me- does not make any sense at all..! Why wait?

Whether the universe had a start or not isn't a fully settled question.

I'm sure it doesn't make sense to you, as you seem to be ignorant of the rudiments of cosmology.

Quote:Why did life not exist the way we know it here and now immediately after the big bang?

Because things like cats, cuttlefish, pandas and people don't do very well in an environment that consist of hydrogen plasma at a temperature of 10^32K.

Quote:Or why doesn't life exist as we know it here and now on the moon? mars? Why is there no intelligent life swimming in lava?

I'm beginning to think these aren't serious questions, but I'll continue to feed my latent streak of masochism. Organisms ('life as we know it', as you said) needs oxygen, liquid water, and moderate temperatures, none of which are present in the three environs you mentioned.

Quote:Most say: the right conditions are not met in all time and space for life to exist, yet this very strict and complicated conditions existed here on earth not so long ago.... it just confuses me more and more... conditions?????

What exactly is confusing you? Life has existed on Earth for almost exactly as long as there have been conditions conducive to life.

Quote:When I let my imaginations run wild, some times I picture -like in some sci-fi novels- a very advanced intelligent marine sort of life deep down in the sea where no man have seen, we can never rule out its existence yes?

I can't rule out the chance that I'll walk out of my office to be confronted by a nude Taylor Momsen with a rose in her teeth, holding a platter of bacon, and with the words 'Take me now' written across her tummy in black lipstick. But the probability of this happening is about as likely as your imaginings of an intelligent race deep in the ocean - neither is worth wasting much intellectual effort on.

Quote:Lets say it does exist, one thing we know for sure is that they don't know about us as well, or they would have made contact. Their idea about the universe and all that is around would be so different than us, to them life does not exist outside the ocean! Why? cuz the conditions for "life" are not met outside the ocean, but they are wrong and we do exist, and we are very noticeable.

If your hypothetical race is so intelligent, they would realize that life exists in a wide range of conditions, and aren't very likely to rule out the possibility of non-oceanic life. For example, WE don't rule out the possibility of marine life, do we? No. Why? We can see it.

Quote:Now, how come there is no kind of "life" that has so different conditions than ours exist on the moon? an intelligent life that requires no H2o for instance, one which we can see very easily.

Water seems to be a needed component for life to arise, if for no other reason than it happens to be damned good at facilitating chemical reactions. That aside, I'm unsure how life would operate in the extreme temperatures and near-vacuum of the lunar surface.

Quote:If I take a fish on dry land it would die very quickly, same would happen to me if sunk down the ocean without any O2. You see life has found a way to make many different beings who have "somewhat" different conditions of life here, yet it failed so miserably when you go a tiny TINY bit outside this TINY TINY rock we live on/in.

See comment immediately preceding.

Quote:Why did one kind of life ONLY ONE! which share the same kind of conditions form on earth? you can find life on needle head but you can not find it swimming in an ocean of lava? Why is there no immortal living thing?

What do you mean 'one kind of life'? You might do a web search for the term 'extremophiles'.

Quote:What kept all these "lifes" from happening?

If you mean non-terrestrial life, nothing kept it from happening. I suspect the universe is brimming with life.

Quote:why did the pen fell only one time?

Pens are dropping all over the place, all the time. Try not to be so provincial.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why not have this as confession : ) Runi93 7 1458 May 23, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14874 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself budsa11 88 20128 September 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9400 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  atheist math question loganonekenobi 16 3510 April 11, 2016 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7308 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11946 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  i have a question [Atheist only] dyresand 19 6640 November 20, 2014 at 1:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  A question about defining 'Atheist' orangebox21 12 3484 July 10, 2014 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Atheist YouTube channel you may not have heard of Sejanus 2 1353 June 9, 2014 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan