Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives to AA
Alternatives to AA
So, I have a problem with alcoholism. Not something I like to talk about. I keep trying to stop, but then I end up binging after 2 weeks sobriety, and it's bad. I've tried talking about it to other people (online) and everyone tells me I should just go check out AA, even though I tell them I'm not religious. All the AA meetings in my area are held in churches. All of them. I don't even know if there are any other alcoholism support groups in my area.

Does anyone know of any other programs? Or should I just suck it up and try AA? Because if they start talking about higher powers, I'm not gonna take it seriously. Telling me that shit just makes me wanna pick up another beer.
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
RE: Alternatives to AA
There are online groups that hold virtual meetings. AA sucks not just because of all the god talk but because of all the attitudes there. People getting pissy because people are getting off drugs and not alcohol coming to meetings, clicks forming, people talking shit about each other over retarded shit. It's like going back to high school but worse.

They also teach you a lot of shit that is not good. Medical science dealing with addiction advances every year. AA has been doing the same shit for 75 years. And it mainly hinges on being a born again religious retard.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
While I am critical of AA it does work, and yeah you should suck it up and at least try it. If it doesn't work for you then look at finding another option.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Correction, it works for a very small subset of alcoholics.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
I'll try and find some of these online meetings...do you know of any specifically?
The important thing is that you go to a meeting, any meeting, raise your hand, and get a sponsor. When I was in the Navy, I was certified and I led some AA/NA groups. If you are experiencing consequences, now's the time. Bittersmart, alcoholism is a life threatening illness. I know it seems like it isn't emergent, it very much is. There are some very easy workarounds for atheists for the steps (namely 3 and 6), and even though most groups are held in churches, they are not run by the churches or affiliated with them, it's just where they are.

AA works if you take it seriously. If a doctor told you that you had any other life threatening illness, you wouldn't hesitate to take care of it. This shouldn't be any different.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 29, 2014 at 10:30 am)Rahul Wrote: Correction, it works for a very small subset of alcoholics.
Dude, I am a critic of AA, there are elements of their approach I do not like one bit, but even I can't say in good conscious that it doesn't work:
  • Other research suggests that AA is quite a bit better than receiving no help. In 2006 psychologist Rudolf H. Moos of the Department of Veterans Affairs and Stanford University and Bernice S. Moos published results from a 16-year study of problem drinkers who had tried to quit on their own or who had sought help from AA, professional therapists or, in some cases, both. Of those who attended at least 27 weeks of AA meetings during the first year, 67 percent were abstinent at the 16-year follow-up, compared with 34 percent of those who did not participate in AA. Of the subjects who got therapy for the same time period, 56 percent were abstinent versus 39 percent of those who did not see a therapist—an indication that seeing a professional is also beneficial.
    Link
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(March 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The important thing is that you go to a meeting, any meeting, raise your hand, and get a sponsor. When I was in the Navy, I was certified and I led some AA/NA groups. If you are experiencing consequences, now's the time. Bittersmart, alcoholism is a life threatening illness. I know it seems like it isn't emergent, it very much is. There are some very easy workarounds for atheists for the steps (namely 3 and 6), and even though most groups are held in churches, they are not run by the churches or affiliated with them, it's just where they are.

AA works if you take it seriously. If a doctor told you that you had any other life threatening illness, you wouldn't hesitate to take care of it. This shouldn't be any different.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'll check out a meeting in my area to see what it's like. If I don't like it, I'll try an online group, perhaps. I know it's serious, my uncle died in his 30's from alcoholism, so I'm working on it. Smile
AA doesn't address the reason one over indulges in alcohol. Get to the root of what you sense may be any loss or lack in your life situation, not just currently, but over the years - look for gaps that may look alike that you chose to fill with drinking. You alone have the key to why you drink and how to stop. Trust yourself.
(March 29, 2014 at 7:03 pm)ShaMan Wrote: AA doesn't address the reason one over indulges in alcohol. Get to the root of what you sense may be any loss or lack in your life situation, not just currently, but over the years - look for gaps that may look alike that you chose to fill with drinking. You alone have the key to why you drink and how to stop. Trust yourself.

Not even close to true. Not only is alcoholism a genetic trait, but AA absolutely does address why you drink, and works towards filling that void with positive outlets. It is a demonstrated fact that trying to do it by yourself is a losing venture. That is the biggest benefit of AA: community.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---