Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-converted...
De-converted...
Hello all. I have been lurking around the forum for a few months and finally joined. I have already learned a lot and hope to engage in intellectual conversations with the full gamut of viewpoints represented here. My "de-conversion" occurred several years ago and was a gradual process. My father is a pentecostal pastor and I was brought up as such. As you can well reason, this creates some tension within the family and prompts some lively email discussions. It also gives me a unique perspective on Christian viewpoints observed through the lens of my now atheistic/agnostic outlook. That story is best saved for the Converts thread I suppose. Great to be here!
RE: De-converted...
What an interesting intro! We welcome you. I too was a Christian like quite a few here, and it does help have an empathetic outlook to religious views. (to a degree lol)

Jump into the conversations, look forward to reading your insights!

And congrats on staying true to you. :-)
Welcome, and congratulations on escaping!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Good to have you. Welcome!
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Welcome aboard.
Hi there!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome. Beware of the psychotic xtians here. They do bite.
(March 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm)coldwx Wrote: Hello all. I have been lurking around the forum for a few months and finally joined. I have already learned a lot and hope to engage in intellectual conversations with the full gamut of viewpoints represented here. My "de-conversion" occurred several years ago and was a gradual process. My father is a pentecostal pastor and I was brought up as such. As you can well reason, this creates some tension within the family and prompts some lively email discussions. It also gives me a unique perspective on Christian viewpoints observed through the lens of my now atheistic/agnostic outlook. That story is best saved for the Converts thread I suppose. Great to be here!

I'm in a similar situation. Welcome!
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
(March 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm)coldwx Wrote: Hello all. I have been lurking around the forum for a few months and finally joined. I have already learned a lot and hope to engage in intellectual conversations with the full gamut of viewpoints represented here. My "de-conversion" occurred several years ago and was a gradual process. My father is a pentecostal pastor and I was brought up as such. As you can well reason, this creates some tension within the family and prompts some lively email discussions. It also gives me a unique perspective on Christian viewpoints observed through the lens of my now atheistic/agnostic outlook. That story is best saved for the Converts thread I suppose. Great to be here!

Welcome.

You lurked, saw the insanity, and stil joined?

Woot. Oh insanity is infectious!

Cool Shades
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 30, 2014 at 3:22 pm)KUSA Wrote: Welcome. Beware of the psychotic xtians here. They do bite.

LOL. Thanks for the warning. It seems there is a select few on here that have more reasonable arguments, though still unpersuasive and lacking evidence. I am used to the biting though....
Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Hey Guys....Recently de-converted Newbie here.... Afro-Queen 29 4086 November 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  new thread long time converted fojo 12 1871 November 9, 2014 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aractus