Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Inner Fish
Your Inner Fish
Just saw this show is about to come on tonight. New show with Paleobiologist Neil Shubin discussing the legacy left to humans from our fish ancestors. Three part series. PBS

Sounds really cool. Anyone else going to watch this?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Your Inner Fish
I'm in. I'm enjoying the book so far.
RE: Your Inner Fish
Loved the part explaining why humans are susceptible to hernias! This is a good show so far.
I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up.
Dying to live, living to die.
Saw Part 1 last night. Loved it - Shubin is a great presenter.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(April 9, 2014 at 10:32 pm)Rahul Wrote: Loved the part explaining why humans are susceptible to hernias! This is a good show so far.

I object to their description of organs migrating.
The testicles don't descend. At the time they were close to the kidneys, the embryo was only 10mm long. What happened was that the tissue between them and the heart grew much more than that between them and the pubis.
It's sort of like cosmic inflation. Things get farther apart without moving.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Actually I never looked at testicles that way. Kudos Big Grin
Thanks for the heads up. I caught it 15 minutes in. It was excellent.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Actually I never looked at testicles that way. Kudos Big Grin

Cosmic inflation doesn't make your balls or penis bigger, if that's what you are thinking.

(April 10, 2014 at 1:39 pm)JuliaL Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 10:32 pm)Rahul Wrote: Loved the part explaining why humans are susceptible to hernias! This is a good show so far.

I object to their description of organs migrating.
The testicles don't descend. At the time they were close to the kidneys, the embryo was only 10mm long. What happened was that the tissue between them and the heart grew much more than that between them and the pubis.
It's sort of like cosmic inflation. Things get farther apart without moving.

Well, for most people the testicles do descend in the relative sense. For some people one or both testicles don't descend and they end up with just one ball in their scrutum, or no balls outside their body wall at all.
(April 10, 2014 at 4:48 pm)Chuck Wrote: Well, for most people the testicles do descend in the relative sense. For some people one or both testicles don't descend and they end up with just one ball in their scrutum, or no balls outside their body wall at all.

There was a guy like that in bootcamp. He also had one leg that was a lot skinnier than the other as well.

I'm not sure how he even got accepted into the military. He still didn't make it though. Anger issues. I'd probably be angry too if I only had one descended nut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1046 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Zombie Fish martin709394 4 1109 May 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: frz