Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hai! Ex muslim atheist from indonesia here! :)
Hai! Ex muslim atheist from indonesia here! :)
Hello, guys, and girls. I'd like to introduce myself. My real name is Fauzy. I'm from Indonesia. My ethnicity and my native language is Sundanese. I was born and raised in a strict sunni muslim family. Both of my parents have conducted the 'holy' pilgrimage to Mecca. Since I was a kid, I always told to do the daily prayers, fasting, attend religious congregation at masjid (mosque), stuff like that. And as a result, I became a fundamentalist muslim who always thought that Islam was the real religion, all kafirs will go to hell, and it was OK to hurt non muslims. But then, when I was in college, I started to learn about other religions, especially abrahamic religions. I became interested in studying the history of christianity and judaism. And I found that there were so many striking similarities among them and islam. Later I found that islam was just basically copy pasted their teachings, so Islam was not the original religion. At the same time, I also had a great fascination toward science and history, especially astronomy. And I found that this universe is unbelievably vast, with billions of galaxies that contain stars and planets within it. I felt that human existence in this universe is insignificant, and I thought it didn't make any sense if there was a personal god who watches us 24/7 and punishes us for petty stuff, such as kissing a girl for example Cool Shades And also, i like to read stuff about history of religions, and after awhile, I concluded that religions are just products of human civilization, not from god. Long story short, last year I became an atheis, basically its not decision, but a result after spending so much time studying religions, science, history, etc. To be frank, the internet has really helped me a lot in my process of becoming an atheist, if there was no internet, perhaps I'd still be a moozie now, LOL. Confused Fall
Anyways, thanks for reading my thread. And please let me know if there are other ex muslims for south east asia like me Smile
Sorry if my english sucks Worship (large)
RE: Hai! Ex muslim atheist from indonesia here! :)
You're very welcome .

I too was a muslim, I relate very much with your story, the internet also did play a great part of me becoming an atheist .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Internet is probably also the reason i'm an atheist. But you also have to give yourself a credit for critical thinking. So kudos for you Smile

Welcome to the AF Big Grin
(April 10, 2014 at 4:33 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: You're very welcome .

I too was a muslim, I relate very much with your story, the internet also did play a great part of me becoming an atheist .

wow, really? u're an ex muslim too? Glad to know I'm not alone, hehee. Big Grin
Yup, as I have already explained, internet plays a big role in my life too. Hail internet! Worship (large)

(April 10, 2014 at 4:36 am)tommynba Wrote: Internet is probably also the reason i'm an atheist. But you also have to give yourself a credit for critical thinking. So kudos for you Smile

Welcome to the AF Big Grin

Wow, thanks a lot, Bro. That means alot to me. Kudos to you too Worship
(April 10, 2014 at 4:39 am)Murtaddin Wrote: Wow, thanks a lot, Bro. That means alot to me. Kudos to you too Worship

click the thumb button on the left bottom, if you want to kudo someone.
(April 10, 2014 at 4:42 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 4:39 am)Murtaddin Wrote: Wow, thanks a lot, Bro. That means alot to me. Kudos to you too Worship

click the thumb button on the left bottom, if you want to kudo someone.

okay, thanks for the tip Clap
(April 10, 2014 at 4:46 am)Murtaddin Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 4:42 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: click the thumb button on the left bottom, if you want to kudo someone.

okay, thanks for the tip Clap

you're welcome Angel
Welcome

Congratulations, you woke up
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 10, 2014 at 7:47 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Welcome

Congratulations, you woke up

Thanks Smile. Yea, I guess I have been asleep for quite a long time. Lol
Congratulations and welcome

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5057 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hi there. Ex-muslim in Bangladesh AAzan 28 7080 March 3, 2018 at 12:30 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Black Female Atheist Here In_Front_of_The_Veil 45 4893 March 6, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  New Atheist here! AceBoogie 10 1608 October 31, 2016 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  An Ex-Muslim Within Muslims Defender 23 2591 October 20, 2016 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Defender
  Well, Hai Ari Sheffield 14 2080 March 21, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Weak atheist/deist here, hello! vixene 59 9259 August 11, 2015 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Oh hai! butterbattle 19 2193 March 25, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Dinner
  Long time Atheist, new member here! AceBoogie 17 4454 March 13, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  atheist here HurricaneKatrina 28 5417 October 17, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: fr0d0