Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction Thread for New Members
Introduction Thread for New Members
As of now, atheistforums no longer requires new members to introduce themselves in the introduction forum.

If people do introduce themselves in an inappropriate area, it might be advisable to point them in the right direction, but an introduction itself is no longer expected.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Introduction Thread for New Members
What prompted the change of policy?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(December 24, 2009 at 7:08 pm)Saerules Wrote: What prompted the change of policy?
Possibly the authentication rules were to strict on any possible deities, which would lead to circular atheistic reasoning.Wink
And we don't want that, do we?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Staff discussion is the simple reason for the change. Wink

But i still think it is an interesting change to the new member policy that could reflect on the rising userbase of the site... though perhaps not only that. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(December 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: circular atheistic reasoning.Wink

And we don't want that, do we?

[Image: 090824Nsmprofession20.gif]

[Image: mercy.gif]
Quote:Possibly the authentication rules were to strict on any possible deities,

A god which is too stupid to figure out how to register for a message board?

Thinking[/b]
So much for introductions and getting to know people based on interests.

Sheesh - cutting out basic information sharing so we can attack our polarizing topics faster.
@synackaon

There is a difference between forcing people to post an introduction and letting then decide for themselves.
(December 28, 2009 at 4:17 am)Tiberius Wrote: @synackaon

There is a difference between forcing people to post an introduction and letting then decide for themselves.

Agreed.

No other forum I know of forces an introduction, yes it might be good netiquette, but I think it's distasteful to require it. Some people might not feel comfortable with it and would prefer to jump into posts.

This is a social forum as much as it is a debate forum, so people who purely want to argue, which is acceptable if they follow the rules, might not be interested in "getting to know" the members, and that is okay. Everyone comes here with different goals and there are different ways to do it. Some express themselves in their profile, others in intro posts, others in the culmination of their forum posts and it's unfair to force people to post an intro. It's not the end of the world if you find out whether they like Aerosmith before you debate God.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(December 28, 2009 at 9:24 am)Eilonnwy Wrote:
(December 28, 2009 at 4:17 am)Tiberius Wrote: @synackaon

Agreed.

No other forum I know of forces an introduction, yes it might be good netiquette, but I think it's distasteful to require it. Some people might not feel comfortable with it and would prefer to jump into posts.

In my experience a lot of people probably wouldn't. The internet is full of a lot of shy people in my experience.... (that also applies to those who don't come across as such online Wink).

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction subforum rules and enforcement policy - you need to read this. Jackalope 21 6964 May 1, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Jackalope