Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
Photo 
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
Most theists that I've known and I think most of the theists on this board believe that God gives their lives meaning.
I usually just laugh inside, knowing that it is simply self delusion, but I just saw this cute cartoon and it struck me that if we are simply god's pets and our purpose is simply to praise him for all eternity, then it's not reassuring to have such a purpose, it's degrading. Check out this cartoon and see if you agree.
[Image: BjwdOQUCYAE9mcQ.jpg:large]
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
God does not give purpose in one's live although praising god is very admirable it is not an actual purpose. Hinduism does not exactly answer this question significantly but instead gives a lot of maybes while only Judaism, Islam and Xtianity do this
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
There is no meaning to life. Some people find this to be a disheartening and depressing idea. They've spent eons to try to make up a myriad purposes to fill the nihilistic void. The worst thing however is they don't just attempt to fill that void for themselves but for everyone else as well. No matter what you choose to do with your life I can think of nothing worse than living your life for someone else's purpose. Even worse is for people long dead who never cared for you and worse than that is for an imaginary idea.

Not for me however. For me the fact that there is no meaning to life is an empowering idea. It means I can use my life, the most precious thing in the universe, to do whatever I want. Rather than being depressed, I rejoice that I have this opportunity to live my life how I want to not how someone else wants me to and certainly not to satisfy the whims of long dead rabbis and priests who worship something that doesn't exist. My life is for me alone.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Brakeman, I wouldn't make any determinations based on a cartoon.
Especially one that is wrong.
Here's the video for anyone that's interested...skip to the 0:30 second mark if you're impatient.

I absolutely died laughing when I first saw this.

Obviously, the robot is not a Christian, because Christians would be gleeful just to pop pimples for their creator for eternity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 16, 2014 at 7:45 pm)Shaykh al-Kabir Shair Abdulrab Wrote: .. praising god is very admirable ..

Why would praising an imaginary god be "admirable?" If I praise Spongebob Squarepants wold you admire me for it or think I've lost my mind?

If my neighbor imagines a magical flying turtle and starts spending her every waking hour praising the beast-god, should I be envious of her nuttery?

(April 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm)professor Wrote: Brakeman, I wouldn't make any determinations based on a cartoon.

Wrong???

Really?? Wrong??

Oh great professor, enlighten us mere mortals on why the cartoon is "Wrong!"
(April 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm)professor Wrote: Brakeman, I wouldn't make any determinations based on a cartoon.

Odd. I wouldn't make any determinations based on a silly old book of ancient fables. Why do you do it?
Problem is that most religions are trying to assign purpose and meaning to life which is universal and somehow outside of the human (or any other) mind.

The thing is, they are all looking in the wrong place, we all can find purpose and meaning of our life for ourselves, more or less, any search beyond that is futile and meaningless Big Grin
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
And while you're at it, why don't you tell me how this one is "wrong"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJgLBoB_Pw
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Imagine getting up every morning and heading along in a huge arena filled people and praising the boss all day every day without end.

Sounds like hell to me... If I wanted to do that sort of thing I would move to North Korea.

Some purpose in life!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38393 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88914 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11594 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7414 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 5769 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A club exists at my school for the purpose of evangelizing students Marnie 84 34427 May 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: catfish
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3155 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6334 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3289 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2655 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre