Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientology defended .. are you kidding me?
Scientology defended .. are you kidding me?
"Oh, and was it Scientologists who flew planes into the World Trade Center?

Of course not. We all know that. Scientology has never attempted to covert anyone by force."

From http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-sh...27878.html

Well if by force you don't include conscription of minors. Some are lured into making multi-generational contracts before the age of consent. That makes ever getting out harder for those unfortunate enough to be born into this cult. Scientology deserves to be ridiculed frequently and forcefully at every opportunity. This cult is undeserving of our tolerance.
RE: Scientology defended .. are you kidding me?
From the article:
Quote:"Cult" charges against Scientology often stem from a cursory analysis of their beliefs about aliens, Thetans, and all that.
No they don't. If the author had done even one iota of research into the "cult" charges, he would have understood that they stem from the shit like the signing of billion year contracts, the oppression of members of the "Sea Org", the policy of "disconnection" from family members not in Scientology, and the disappearances and murders of Scientology members who showed signs of disobedience or tried to escape. Y'know, the kind of behaviour you only find in cults...
Hear, hear! You'd think theists of every stripe would want to root this plague out of existence as much as we do.
Motherfucking. I'm all for tolerance but this... Angry
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
That was one of the biggest piles of shit I've ever read. Even just the slightest bit of research into the claims of ex-Scientologists shows that criticism of Scientology is a result of much more than it being based upon silly beliefs. It creates an isolated culture of manipulation and intimidation, in which many people are punished by being forced into servitude. There have also been caims that the top dog is not a stranger to using physical violence as a means to an end.

I think this was just a case of this guy attempting to appear tolerant by trying to make others look unjustifiably intolerant. Just a few minutes of research would have prevented this guys from putting his foot in his mouth.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: No they don't. If the author had done even one iota of research into the "cult" charges, he would have understood that they stem from the shit like the signing of billion year contracts, the oppression of members of the "Sea Org", the policy of "disconnection" from family members not in Scientology, and the disappearances and murders of Scientology members who showed signs of disobedience or tried to escape. Y'know, the kind of behaviour you only find in cults...
Or how about telling people to ignore advice given by medical doctors? There are three GP's in my congregation and I'm sure if someone from the congregation asked them about a medical matter they'd probably offer to say a quick prayer in addition to providing proper medical advice (in fact I know of this happening at least once when one parishioner collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital while at a church service - one of the physicians from our parish gave them immediate medical assistance before the ambulance arrived and went with him to the hospital - I think the priest is the one who said the prayer, but it could well have been the physician and it wouldn't have changed the level of medical expertise), but no Christian would tell someone to ignore the advice of their doctor because it "conflicts with beliefs".
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Scientology makes all other religions look bad.

And that's about the only thing positive I can think of . . .

besides LRH admitting the whole thing was a scam to make money, which means it's not a religion at all and therefore falls out of the continuum of things discussed here ?

Confusedhock:
(April 21, 2014 at 12:34 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Scientology makes all other religions look bad.

And that's about the only thing positive I can think of . . .

besides LRH admitting the whole thing was a scam to make money, which means it's not a religion at all and therefore falls out of the continuum of things discussed here ?

Confusedhock:

But still high on the list of things to be disgusted by which fly the flag of religion.
(April 21, 2014 at 12:23 am)Aractus Wrote:
(April 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: No they don't. If the author had done even one iota of research into the "cult" charges, he would have understood that they stem from the shit like the signing of billion year contracts, the oppression of members of the "Sea Org", the policy of "disconnection" from family members not in Scientology, and the disappearances and murders of Scientology members who showed signs of disobedience or tried to escape. Y'know, the kind of behaviour you only find in cults...
Or how about telling people to ignore advice given by medical doctors? There are three GP's in my congregation and I'm sure if someone from the congregation asked them about a medical matter they'd probably offer to say a quick prayer in addition to providing proper medical advice (in fact I know of this happening at least once when one parishioner collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital while at a church service - one of the physicians from our parish gave them immediate medical assistance before the ambulance arrived and went with him to the hospital - I think the priest is the one who said the prayer, but it could well have been the physician and it wouldn't have changed the level of medical expertise), but no Christian would tell someone to ignore the advice of their doctor because it "conflicts with beliefs".

Actually, I hate to say it, but the above is not true. I had a long argument on a christian forum with someone who swore up and down that smoking was safe and that sunSCREEN, not sun, caused skin cancer. The reason given was that God would not cause the sun, or a natural product, to cause cancer when he put all those things there for us to use. Scary but true.

I can remember a patient with a diabetic ulcer who who routinely take off her dressings as an act of faith, on the basis that when you pray for healing you have to have faith and trust that God will do it for you and you can't do that by "spreading your bets".

They walk among us. Although in the above example, not for very long Undecided.

And of course, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8483622
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Perhaps I should have said "no true Christian" or better yet "no Christian qualified on the subject at hand"?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Phenomenon" Scientology propaganda? Fake Messiah 8 1492 April 6, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: no one
  Scientology Channel launches tonite, DirecTV 320 vorlon13 21 4592 March 13, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Leah Remini Scientology Special & New Show Shell B 74 11222 April 7, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does Scientology deserve more scrutiny than other religions? Casca 56 8540 October 31, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Casca
  Louis Therous - My Scientology Movie Cyberman 7 1941 October 10, 2016 at 10:52 am
Last Post: racingboo
  The church of scientology called me Erinome 12 7125 June 17, 2012 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Cato
  Woman imprisoned on Scientology cruise ship for 12 years Doubting Thomas 11 4199 December 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Scientology DeistPaladin 24 11472 August 7, 2010 at 12:01 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Church of Scientology Amphora 16 8660 November 20, 2009 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Pope Alfred