Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 11:23 pm

Poll: How many spaces do you leave between sentences?
This poll is closed.
1 space .. and I can tell you when and where I learned to do it this way.
18.18%
4 18.18%
1 space but I don't know why.
22.73%
5 22.73%
2 spaces and I can tell you when and where I learned to it this way.
40.91%
9 40.91%
2 spaces but I don't know why.
4.55%
1 4.55%
Varies. I am a wildchild/poet with artistic license to do things my way.
9.09%
2 9.09%
All manner of grammar, punctuation and writing conventions escape me. Leave me alone - I'm doing the best I can.
4.55%
1 4.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, I guess I'm guilty. Who else here thinks two spacing is correct?
Okay, I guess I'm guilty. Who else here thinks two spacing is correct?
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology...aders.html

from the article Wrote:Typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong.

No I definitely do it and I'm fairly certain I was taught to do so at some point in my dim past. The author goes on to say leaving two spaces between sentences is very wide spread and that the folks who do it tend to feel righteous about it.

Just wondering what people here do and how they feel about it. In particular, I wonder if anyone else who offends the gods of sentence spacing as I do can recall where they learned to do so.
RE: Okay, I guess I'm guilty. Who else here thinks two spacing is correct?
I use two spaces. It is technically not wrong and it is still perfectly acceptable. I am fairly certain it was in typing class that I learned it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I use two spaces. But on the forum, it doesn't matter, because the software strips out the extra space in the displaying of text. It's a habit, and habits are hard to change. I see no incentive for making the effort just because in some contexts it's not an ideal.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I use 2 spaces because when I double space it automatically adds the period for me. :p
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I'm positive that I was taught to doublespace.
(April 21, 2014 at 10:37 am)Losty Wrote: I use 2 spaces because when I double space it automatically adds the period for me. :p

Really?! Confused Fall

I have to take that as an omen. Surely the writing program knows what it is doing. I'll have to pray for those who haven't gotten the word. (Translation I'll just think to myself about it a little .. there, that's enough.)

I asked my wife and she says she thinks it was changed in our lifetimes .. (ours, not necessarily yours, youngsters.)
As a youngster, I learned to use only one space. But some of my friends were taught to use two, so I wouldn't say it's incorrect...
It's just a waste of a byte... one that ms-word tends to eat up and LaTeX also works it out automatically, so I don't need to worry.
It's how I was taught as well, though not the double-spacing between sentences thing. I have to admit that the internet has tended to make me somewhat lazy though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I was taught to single space. But I did have a knock-down drag-out fight with my friends about this. (That's the kind of shit we argue about. It's always two against one---football or nerdy shit) They were taught to double space between sentences, I was taught to single space. I literally just posted this on their facebook pages.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I was taught two spaces, because I learned to type on a typewriter.

I later adopted single space.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3529 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Take a guess onlinebiker 17 1183 November 25, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1769 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone else planting dandelions? arewethereyet 5 713 May 1, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 999 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Two things that I don't understand. Add yours. Figbash 14 1209 May 4, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2492 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Alex K: I Hope He's Okay Rhondazvous 33 3475 November 17, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Does anyone else remember...? Cecelia 20 1737 July 30, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 929 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4