Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beyond the atheist vs theist vid
Beyond the atheist vs theist vid
I of late get totally bored of debates between atheists and theists because there is so little quality in the presented argument. Especially the vids featuring the Ray Comfort type theist feel like a self performed lobotomy, cutting away half of the brain in order to adjust to the presented level of argument.

So I tried a debate between anti-theist Christopher Hitchens and agnostic Robert Wright to find it only slightly more satisfying.

Hitchens and Wright at bloggingsheads.tv
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
RE: Beyond the atheist vs theist vid
(December 26, 2009 at 11:34 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote: I of late get totally bored of debates between atheists and theists because there is so little quality in the presented argument. Especially the vids featuring the Ray Comfort type theist feel like a self performed lobotomy, cutting away half of the brain in order to adjust to the presented level of argument.

So I tried a debate between anti-theist Christopher Hitchens and agnostic Robert Wright to find it only slightly more satisfying.

Hitchens and Wright at bloggingsheads.tv

Saw some of it a while back, hated the format of the 'debate'.

I used to quite like Robert Wright until i read a Huffpo interview where he described belief in electrons as no more weird than belief in god, his main argument for this was what he calls the internally contradictory wave-particle duality of electrons... No, they aren't contradictory, we just don't understand why they behave the way they do but we know for certain that they do behave as described, case and point being every single device using semiconductors on the planet - The empirical evidence for God however is entirely absent.
I watched about two and a half minutes of it, I can't get past Robert Wright and his eye rolling. He looks high. Really.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Allright. What's your alternative?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(December 27, 2009 at 5:49 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Allright. What's your alternative?

If i was you I'd look for William Lane Craig debates, he is basically the only apologist i can be bothered listening to any more, excellent debater but tends to misrepresent Atheism, Cosmology and Evolution very often, and he knows perfectly well that, for example, there is not a single cosmologist on earth who actually things 'something came from nothing' yet he still brings it up in every single debate. Really loves to plead to emotions and personal experience for his points about morality and strangely seems to bring up the resurrection as certain often yet his evidence for it is always an argument from authority, most often the same New Testament scholar, though I can't remember his name.

What Craig does do well is de-construct positive arguments for the non-existence of God, I tend to agree with him that there is no evidence logical or otherwise that disproves god, but it also applies to absolutely anything else that is described as outside of the universe as the ideas are entirely unfalsifiable.
Evie linked me to this Alistair McGrath vs Dawkins debate that was good I thought
Oh you didn't frodo? That guy is a moron, He needs a theme song with the chorus "I plead to emotion, na na na emotion"
I'd agree with you Purple Rabbit, I found that dabate only slightly satisfying. I have not seen that many debates. But I was glad that I saw the Atheism is the new fundamentalism debate live that day.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
(December 27, 2009 at 8:50 am)theVOID Wrote: Oh you didn't frodo? That guy is a moron, He needs a theme song with the chorus "I plead to emotion, na na na emotion"

LOL

ROFLOL

@ PR, thanks for the upload, I'll watch it pretty soon...

Hmmm, if you're short of finding some TV or audio debates maybe you could find some text based ones via the net too?

And yeah, thanks for the upload - I appreciate it.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Letting Go Of God - Julia Sweeney - Hilarious full youtube vid inside Duty 13 1597 May 20, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Duty
  This vid is hilarious ignoramus 1 289 April 16, 2019 at 3:40 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Hilarious Atheist vs. Theist debate highlights Tea Earl Grey Hot 4 3161 May 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  KONY 2012: Part II - Beyond Famous Tiberius 0 956 April 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Funny vid Ace Otana 1 1458 July 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  The Question No Theist Can Answer. leo-rcc 23 6732 August 30, 2010 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Scarface