Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap Clean Energy
Cheap Clean Energy
Two talks about fusion which may lead to cheap clean energy.

Ted Talk on Magnetic Target Fusion

Magnetic Target Fusion reminds me a little bit of sonofusion which bombed miserably. Hopefully this will pan out. Below is a talk about focus fusion.

RE: Cheap Clean Energy
We'll get fusion eventually. Current estimates that I've seen put it as commercially viable by 2050 or so. Smile Now we just need some life-extension tech. to be deployed in the near future and I'll be good. Wink
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(April 30, 2014 at 12:05 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: We'll get fusion eventually. Current estimates that I've seen put it as commercially viable by 2050 or so. Smile Now we just need some life-extension tech. to be deployed in the near future and I'll be good. Wink

Gee, looks like the target delivery has slipped a decade and a half. As long as I can remember, commercial fusion has been 20 years away.
And I can remember back to the '70s.
The '60s not so much.Undecided
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
No doubt about it, cheap clean fusion energy would be quite a prize, but I'm just not seeing the big breakthrough(s) in the pipeline to even get within a few orders of magnitude of 'just barely possible' and that at staggering cost.

I want it, I think applications in space travel would be stunning too, but the nuts and bolts of making it work at all, let alone 'cheaply' are beyond daunting.
(April 30, 2014 at 12:05 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: We'll get fusion eventually. Current estimates that I've seen put it as commercially viable by 2050 or so. Smile Now we just need some life-extension tech. to be deployed in the near future and I'll be good. Wink
Meh, 40 years ago they said it was 30-40 years away.
(April 30, 2014 at 11:30 am)alpha male Wrote:
Meh, 40 years ago they said it was 30-40 years away.

I don't know man I mean we finally got a hoverborad(or at least the prototype). We will see.
[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Cheap Clean Energy
Hover board video was a hoax.
(April 30, 2014 at 3:04 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Hover board video was a hoax.

Really damn. Good thing I said prototype. If it is real it is still in testing.
[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
(April 30, 2014 at 12:31 am)JuliaL Wrote: Gee, looks like the target delivery has slipped a decade and a half. As long as I can remember, commercial fusion has been 20 years away.
And I can remember back to the '70s.
The '60s not so much.Undecided

What is different today is the perceived need for fusion. In 1970 and 80's I don't think people thought there was an immediate need for fusion but rather it was just something we would eventually accomplish.

2014 is different, today I think a lot more people believe this technology is a necessity that needs to come sooner rather than later. The urgency for fusion technology is building up faster now than it ever has. I think we really are now less than 20 years away.
ITER is supposed to start rolling out some results by 2025.
After that, each nation which takes part on this project will have the expertise to build a commercial nuclear fusion reactor.
Last I heard, China was extremely interested in getting the ball going as soon as possible and they have plans to build their own version of ITER to skip ahead faster...
The EU is planning on building a demonstration reactor after ITER, so that electrical companies will only have to copy that DEMO machine...leaving the earliest commercial available fusion electricity well into the 2030's... in the EU.
The U.S....well, it depends on the petroleum lobby... they did back out of the ITER project at one time... no doubt after some pressuring...
Canada's in for the long haul.
India and Japan are also a pat of the group.
The world's most power hungry places are putting their heads together to make this happen...
It took years to develop the machine's schematics...it's still being tweak as the site is under construction. It took years for the politicians to agree on a location for ITER. It's taking years to build the damn thing. It'll take a few years until the desired results are achieved, as the scientists will not want to break the machine on its first run...they'll take it slow.

So...Some 20 years from now we may start seeing fusion power delivering electricity... our maybe it'll take longer.. well see.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to solve the fresh water problem, clean energy rising seas all by digging a ditch Drich 28 5030 December 18, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Clean drinking water BrokenQuill92 3 1111 February 21, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  2-in-1 device uses sewage as fuel to make electricity and clean the sewage KichigaiNeko 2 1792 April 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Nine