Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus makes the Old Testament old hat?
Jesus makes the Old Testament old hat?
In the very first book of the New Testament Jesus says this:

"17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

I didn't see where he abolishes all the barbarism. Maybe it's my poor ability to contort a believable alternative interpretation, but he seems to be endorsing all the crazy shit from the first part of the book.
RE: Jesus makes the Old Testament old hat?
(April 27, 2014 at 4:32 pm)The Reality Salesman Wrote: In the very first book of the New Testament Jesus says this:

"17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

I didn't see where he abolishes all the barbarism. Maybe it's my poor ability to contort a believable alternative interpretation, but he seems to be endorsing all the crazy shit from the first part of the book.

I'm always amused by religious nuts who claim that Jesus overrides the OT, while ignoring the passages above and then insist on holding to the 10 commandments
Dying to live, living to die.
No...no...no. You're reading that out of 'context.'

To get the right context you have to shove your head up your own ass and pretend it doesn't smell like shit.

Really, these jesus freak assholes have more ways to twist themselves out of that one than just about any other fucking thing written in the damn thing.
Lol...oh Mini, I have missed those responses.

With regards to JC, I've seen more subtle Nike endorsements from Tiger Woods.
The most prevalent claim I've heard is that the old testament covenant died with him on the cross and was replaced with the new covenant upon his resurrection. All without reference to scripture, of course. It does beg the question of whether people were allowed, or even able, to sin during the three days (yeah, right) he lay dead since there was no covenant in place for that time.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(April 27, 2014 at 4:36 pm)Beccs Wrote: I'm always amused by religious nuts who claim that Jesus overrides the OT, while ignoring the passages above and then insist on holding to the 10 commandments

And one very specific law in Leviticus.
It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick designed to make their cult more palatable to 1st and 2nd Century Gentiles than the other Jewish alternatives. Like most marketing, it's bullshit.
Let's not start on the meaning of the word "fulfill" lol
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(April 28, 2014 at 1:18 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: Let's not start on the meaning of the word "fulfill" lol

Well, then, how the hell are we supposed to cherry pick!?
(April 27, 2014 at 4:32 pm)The Reality Salesman Wrote: I didn't see where he abolishes all the barbarism. Maybe it's my poor ability to contort a believable alternative interpretation, but he seems to be endorsing all the crazy shit from the first part of the book.
You can make the argument that he even doubles down. In the sermon on the mount, he implies that the law doesn't go far enough. Do not kill? Hah! Don't even call your brother a fool! Do not commit adultery? Hah! Lustful thoughts are enough to damn you! He ends this by telling the assembled listeners that they must be perfect, just like god is perfect. And considering the way god acts in the OT, it's impossible to figure out just what he means by "perfect"!

Basically, he came to Earth to tell everyone that they were fucked. And they thanked him for it. /facepalm
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8503 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Here's A Xtian I'll Tip My Hat To Minimalist 0 842 April 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6293 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 36857 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  As Dumb A Fuck As The Rest Of The Silly Hat Brigade Minimalist 12 3553 March 23, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: The Atheist
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35960 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16823 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  Iceland makes blasphemy legal zebo-the-fat 31 4960 July 4, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christianity even with Jesus is ignorant about some stuff of the old Coreni 11 3818 June 24, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 108288 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb