Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Unfortunate Encounter with a Theist, Too Harsh?
My Unfortunate Encounter with a Theist, Too Harsh?
So, I was sitting in a booth today, working on a power point presentation that I have to do this Tuesday (I'm a graduate student at Eastern Washington University) and a young gentleman approached me with a card in his hand. He did not let me read the thing, but he asked me if I had heard of his organization. Taking my earphones out, I asked "Is this a religious thing?" You see, sir, the lord does not really approve of religion, the gentleman answered (to paraphrase him a bit). As soon as I heard the words "the lord" come out of his mouth, I knew what the deal was. As he continued on with his proselytizing speil, I looked down and realized my Atheist necklace was tucked under my t-shirt and not visible to the gentleman's eyes. So I held it up and asked him "what does my necklace say?" He answered "it says Atheist", and before he could continue, I cut in: "you have freedom of religion and I have freedom from religion, so I would appreciate it if you would fuck off." Then I put my earphones back in and continued with my work. As the gentleman walked off, he said "well, sir, God loves you", and mumbled something else that I didn't catch because I had stopped paying attention to him. In retrospect, I think I should have said "how the hell do you know, ya crazy asshole? You're not the lord."

Was I too harsh with the gentleman? I don't think I was too much so, no. As Christopher Hitchens understood, religion must infringe on the values of non-believers in order for it to spread. So this gentleman was giving me a sales pitch with the hopes of proselytizing me. But...if I could go back in time and do this over, I may have just said "you have freedom of religion and I have freedom from religion, and I wish you and this organization luck in whatever your goals are, but I'm a lifelong atheist and not interested".

But on the other hand, did he deserve that much respect? If I were nicer, he would be less hurt and the chances that he would continue accosting people in public would be higher. That would not be good at all. I was harsh like that because I wanted to show him what I thought of public proselytizers and to show him that converting ignorant fools to the primitive crap found in ancient, theistic texts is harder than he thinks. If I had wished him luck with his work, I would have been lying, too. But sometimes it's necessary to lie in order to be polite and not sound like a prick. Thinking

But anyway, that was my adventure for today. Thank you for reading.
RE: My Unfortunate Encounter with a Theist, Too Harsh?
(April 27, 2014 at 6:16 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote: Was I too harsh with the gentleman?

No.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Nope, not harsh at all. I think you handled it very well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not at all.

Sometimes, especially when you're busy and they interrupt you, harshness is the only way to get through to them.
Dying to live, living to die.
Personally, I can never respond like that to people proselytizing to me, even though I want to. Every fiber of my being wants to tell them to fuck off, but my brain just can't force my lips to say it.

But no, you were not too harsh. Religious matters are personal, so I see preaching as a personal intrusion. A "fuck off" is totally warranted.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"Too harsh" would have been hitting him over the head with a brick.
Strangling him with his own entrails would, IMO, be a bit too far.

Wearing head/ear phones ought to be a universally recognized symbol for "don't fucking disturb me".
(April 27, 2014 at 7:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Wearing head/ear phones ought to be a universally recognized symbol for "don't fucking disturb me".

Good point. Evangelists should know that by now.
Technically, any encounter with a prosletysing theist is an unfortunate one.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
The guy you said it to may see it as harsh, but it wasn't. Next time you could also remind him that you don't go around pushing your beliefs on believers like himself

And hopefully it puts that into perspective for them about what they're doing proselytizing to you when you have earphones on, no less.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5249 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 725 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2907 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2849 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9346 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2505 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 3015 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1875 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Too Funny! Minimalist 14 2502 November 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3678 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod