Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bertrand Russel on God (1959)
Bertrand Russel on God (1959)
Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPOMUTr1...r_embedded#
RE: Bertrand Russel on God (1959)
That old guy seems pretty smartBig Grin
binnyCoffee
God on Bertrand Russell

God: BERTRAND!!! , did you put that friggin' teapot in orbit?
Bertrand: What teapot, it's a metaphore I used.
God: But should not I be the one using the metaphores?
Bertrand: Yes, but the teapot as a teapot is not really there at all, rather it is the set of all empty teapots that contains itself.
God: BERTRAND!!
Bertrand: Yes, God?
God: Don't pull me that shit. Is there a teapot or is there not.
Bertrand: Well, that really depends...
God: Depends, on what Bertrand, don't use that postmodern shit on me, tell me right now, on what does it depend??
Bertrand: It really depends if you believe in the reality of mathematics.
God: There is no reality in mathematics Bertrand, that's just some crap I made up to keep you humans busy for a while so I had some spare time to cause some other universes in existence
Bertrand: But if you do not subscribe mathematical truth, then you surely cannot exist.
God: How's that?
Bertrand: Then you're attributes are incomplete.
God: My attributes are what??
Bertrand: Incomplete, since mathematical proof is absolute. And since your attributes are incomplete, you cannot be perfect. And since you cannot be perfect, you are either not god or you don't exist. What will it be?
God: Ahhhrgh, I hate that British arrogance of yours Bertrand....

And there, again, god dissapeared in a puff of logic...had he existed
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(December 28, 2009 at 4:08 pm)binny Wrote: That old guy seems pretty smartBig Grin

Ya think? That old guy is Bertrand Russell, arguably the best [and most influential] philosopher of his generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell

I read 'Why I Am Not a Christian' in 1972. Although Russell did not change my basic position, his ideas are expressed so lucidly and so elegantly,he did help me crystalise my views .--having read Russell, who was a first rate thinker is why I'm relatively underwhelmed by Dawkins and Hitchens who are not..
Brilliant indeed! Smile
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
I agree Bertrand Russel was a hell of a philosopher and I too read many of his works especially on the subject of religion.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19456 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie