Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pantera
Pantera
I'm just after opinions. Is there a better heavy metal band then Pantera.
Or even just as good as.
I'm hungry for more.
I could search the net but I'd rather hear from people who know their music inside out.
Also, some music is aquired taste and it's value can't be gleaned from one listening.
Thanks.
RE: Pantera
Here's a few you may or may not like/ have heard of.
Black Sabbath - They literally invented metal

Megadeth - One of my favourite metal bands, try Peace sells, Rust in Peace albums in particular

Metallica - First 5 albums only are quality, apparently

Slayer - Dark thrash metal that kind of was a precursor to Death Metal

Tankard - A "Beer metal" thrash band from Germany. They make beer-themed metal songs. What more could you ask for?

Motorhead - An unimaginably bad-ass, old school metal type band,

a Metallica cover, btw

Iron Maiden - Great band. 'nuff said.

Judas Priest - A band I don't know enough about to comment, but still, [/video]

Opeth - A very good Progressive metal band

EDIT: It appears most of the links are broken, possibly due to the hide tags... I tried to just do 1 hide tag per band, but that broke the hide tags. Any mods know how to fix this? Also, the problem Napoleon mentioned in a thread recently seems to be cropping up here, at least for me.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Pantera is one of my favorite bands.

There are no better metal bands than pantera, Metallica, megadeth, DIO, or black sabbath IMO
Pantera is tough to beat, but I also love Maiden and Megadeth. If you want a vibe similar to Pantera check out THC (Texas Hippie Coalition).

Not usually classified as metal, but Guns 'n' Roses remains one of my favortie bands. Appetite for Destruction is perhaps at the top of my desert island list. I can also make one equally good album from the content on the Illusions albums.
Thanks. I'm checking these bands out.
I'm already a fan of the gunner's, black sabbath, and some Metallica ( I like their old stuff better.)
Also ACDC of course but only with Bon Scott.
Megadeath I missed out on somehow, even though it was written on my school bag in the 80's cause I thought it was a bad arse name.
Opeth I'm going to definately listen to more of.
Texas Hippie Coalition too. Big man, big voice.
Checked out Dio. Good but funny too and I'm not sure it's meant to be funny.
Ronnie James has such an amazing voice.
I remember 'Love is all' from when I was a kid, before he got heavy.
I remember 'Eat the rich', Motörhead from the 80's so I checked them out.
Really like 'The ace of spades'.
'I know I'm gonna lose, cause gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live for ever.' Love that bit. :-)
Anyway, thanks for that, much appreciated.
Anyone else?
My appetite seems to have only increased. :-)

Just thought I'd mention a couple of other bands I like.
Sepultura, Queens of the Stone Age, Angel Witch, System of a Down, and Drowning Pool.
:-)
(April 30, 2014 at 4:55 am)Sejanus Wrote: EDIT: It appears most of the links are broken, possibly due to the hide tags... I tried to just do 1 hide tag per band, but that broke the hide tags. Any mods know how to fix this? Also, the problem Napoleon mentioned in a thread recently seems to be cropping up here, at least for me.

It's probably because the video links aren't enclosed in [ video=youtube ] [ /viideo ] tags.

I'll see if I can fix it.

Seems to be better now. If you don't enclose links in url, video, etc tags there's some buggy rendering that happens.

P.S. While I would agree with you that Metallica's first five albums are consistently good, there is good music on their later albums, even the much maligned St. Anger.
If you listened to spice girls and then St Anger, I believe it would sound good.
But swap spice girls for Kill em all, maybe it would then sound a bit diluted and less raw. :-)
(April 30, 2014 at 7:37 pm)Little lunch Wrote: If you listened to spice girls and then St Anger, I believe it would sound good.
But swap spice girls for Kill em all, maybe it would then sound a bit diluted and less raw. :-)

The production quality on St. Anger sucked, no doubt about it, and it's definitely a departure from what the earlier albums delivered. I fucking hated it first - but it ended up growing on me like some kind of fungus.

Even Load and Reload had some good music amongst the mediocre dreck. Death Magnetic I thought was quite good, certainly their best album since Justice.

I played the shit out of everything from Kill 'em All through Justice in the 80s and 90s and they don't often rotate into my playlist despite being great albums. Same with Iron Maiden from the same era - Piece of Mind is a kickass record but I've heard it ten thousand times. Big Grin
(April 30, 2014 at 7:09 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(April 30, 2014 at 4:55 am)Sejanus Wrote: EDIT: It appears most of the links are broken, possibly due to the hide tags... I tried to just do 1 hide tag per band, but that broke the hide tags. Any mods know how to fix this? Also, the problem Napoleon mentioned in a thread recently seems to be cropping up here, at least for me.

It's probably because the video links aren't enclosed in [ video=youtube ] [ /viideo ] tags.

I'll see if I can fix it.

Seems to be better now. If you don't enclose links in url, video, etc tags there's some buggy rendering that happens.
Thanks for that.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Sad news,Vinnie Paul, the drummer from Pantera died, only 54.