Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I now believe in GOD I am saved!
I now believe in GOD I am saved!
So after many years of being atheist I now believe in GOD. Well not really, I just wanted to get your attention and pose the question, why do Atheists convert to christianity? I have seen it a few times where a long time atheist will 'convert' back to christianity.

Would anything ever make you convert back?
RE: I now believe in GOD I am saved!
(April 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: Would anything ever make you convert back?

I'd need a full body shot of the goddess before moving any further. Face pics only go so far.
Why would an atheist convert to Christianity?
I cannot think of one logical reason, which states more of the person's mental state at the time. There is nothing rational about religious belief, after all.

Would I ever convert back to Christianity?
Not even if the religion's tyrannical god was somehow proven to exist.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Probably emotional reasons. Religion is a crutch.

I would like to know if an intelligent, scientifically literate person, who has read lots of atheist literature, knows all the anti-theism arguments, etc. converted back, and why they did...

There may be some conceivable way of convincing me that a deist god exists. But Christianity? Not a chance.
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I've seen a person struggle with this only when they are at their lowest and feel they can't go on and want to believe they are not alone. It is a crutch as much as alcohol is. It happens a lot in prison.the person I knew wanted to believe he was being punished, and life would get better if he repented for the things he had done. I told him sometimes bad things just happen to good people or good people sometimes make terrible choices, but it doesn't really always help a person in an all time low.
The idea of heaven is nice, personally I like it more than the idea of nothing.
But still, if I look at stuff logically heaven just does not make sense.

So, I think people need something to hold on to, otherwise they are probably fearful all the time.
Maybe even hell is for some better than nothing.

And of course there is pressure from the environment. Or maybe they want to be part of a community like that.
If people are pressured into saying something, they will actually believe it to avoid cognitive dissonance. It's called forced compliance theory. in the Festinger and Carlsmith experiment, after doing a really tedious and boring task, subjects were payed either $1 or $20 to tell someone else that the task would be fun. Those who were payed only $1 settled their cognitive dissonance by telling themself that the task really was fun.
(April 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: Would anything ever make you convert back?

Severe head trauma.
I never converted in the first place, so I can't convert "back."
It's hard to say what would cause someone to convert or reconvert. There are probably many reasons.

Not all atheists disbelieve in gods for rational reasons. If someone disbelieves for bad reasons, and runs across a particularly convincing (to them) debater, they might be swayed.

I've seem the Cosmological argument (despite the obvious fallacies) sway atheists to becoming deists or theists.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 451331 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8111 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Coronavirus is no more, Kenneth Copeland has saved us Seek3r 3 729 July 22, 2020 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13440 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4031 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6360 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3196 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I would believe in God if... Won2blv 65 7951 April 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
  A god who doesn't believe in himself? ErikB 6 1737 January 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: ErikB
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 38526 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue