Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic of Gilgamesh Video
Epic of Gilgamesh Video
This is a good presentation on the Epic of Gilgamesh. I've always heard about it but I've never really knew the story. It's amazing to me just how close it sounds like an OT Bible story.

One thing that is illuminating to about this story and other non-biblical myths is learning that the characters make mistakes and have faults. That may seem odd to you but growing up as a fundamentalist I was taught by pastors and other fundie leaders that the difference between Bible stories and myths is that in the Bible the characters make mistakes. They're not perfect. Supposedly all other myths show their characters as being perfect superman that never do anything wrong. Because of this "fact", the bible stories must be historical because nobody would make up religious stories that showed their characters in a bad light.

My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Epic of Gilgamesh Video
No one makes mistakes in the bible?

God himself admitted he was "sorry for having created humans" when he flooded the world. Did those people even logic?

I definitely need to watch that video when I get the time. Thanks for posting it!
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(May 16, 2014 at 12:50 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: No one makes mistakes in the bible?

God himself admitted he was "sorry for having created humans" when he flooded the world. Did those people even logic?

I definitely need to watch that video when I get the time. Thanks for posting it!

No, you misread me. The characters in the Bible (with exception to God of course) make mistakes which to fundies is a proof of its historicity. Supposedly, made up religious stories don't feature fallible protagonists. Therefore, since the Bible has fallible protagonists, it's not made up.

Even a cursory reading of other non-biblical myths will demonstrate this logic to be flawed, unless you were to say that they're true also which is absurd (they can't all be true).
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
http://www.squidoo.com/zeus-king-of-gods

Quote:What may be surprising is that although he is that powerful ruler he often makes mistakes mostly based on his numerous love affairs and his habit to cheat on his jealous and mean wife Hera although she was very beautiful.

This is simply a case of some shitheaded theologian running his mouth and all the sheep nodding in agreement.

Almost nothing said by those assholes is worth spit.
Oops. My bad Smile
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
Wow! I didn't even know they had video back then . So my next questions is : where are the missing Old Testament tapes? Is someone hiding them? I would like to see the Flood episode I always liked that story
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(May 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote: Supposedly all other myths show their characters as being perfect superman that never do anything wrong. Because of this "fact", the bible stories must be historical because nobody would make up religious stories that showed their characters in a bad light.

Clearly, theists must be unfamiliar with general fiction, because most authors portray their characters, especially the protagonist, as imperfect.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter