Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matter from light - WTF?
Matter from light - WTF?
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/...-positrons

Quote:Researchers have worked out how to make matter from pure light and are drawing up plans to demonstrate the feat within the next 12 months.

Much as I am loathed to say this, but, describing the beginning of the universe in terms of "Let there be light," might not be far off.

This will have biblical theists wetting their pants.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Matter from light - WTF?
(May 19, 2014 at 1:14 am)max-greece Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/...-positrons

Quote:Researchers have worked out how to make matter from pure light and are drawing up plans to demonstrate the feat within the next 12 months.

Much as I am loathed to say this, but, describing the beginning of the universe in terms of "Let there be light," might not be far off.

This will have biblical theists wetting their pants.

Unfortunately it won't. Facts just bounce off those people.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(May 19, 2014 at 1:14 am)max-greece Wrote: Much as I am loathed to say this, but, describing the beginning of the universe in terms of "Let there be light," might not be far off.

That was the Big Bang. There's also the World Egg.

Quote:The world egg, cosmic egg or mundane egg is a mythological motif found in the creation myths of many cultures and civilizations. Typically, the world egg is a beginning of some sort, and the universe or some primordial being comes into existence by "hatching" from the egg, sometimes lain on the primordial waters of the Earth.[1][2]

This idea ended up in Modern Cosmology.

Quote:The concept was resurrected by modern science in the 1930s and explored by theoreticians during the following two decades. The idea comes from a perceived need to reconcile Edwin Hubble's observation of an expanding universe (which was also predicted from Einstein's equations of general relativity by Alexander Friedmann) with the notion that the universe must be eternally old. Current cosmological models maintain that 13.8 billion years ago, the entire mass of the universe was compressed into a gravitational singularity, the so-called cosmic egg, from which it expanded to its current state (following the Big Bang).

Georges Lemaitre proposed in 1927 that the cosmos originated from what he called the primeval atom.

In the late 1940s, George Gamow's assistant cosmological researcher Ralph Alpher, proposed the name ylem for the primordial substance that existed between the big crunch of the previous universe and the big bang of our own universe.[8]

Which just goes to show that old myths can be interpreted to mean anything if you try hard enough. Tongue
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(May 19, 2014 at 1:14 am)max-greece Wrote: This will have biblical theists wetting their pants.

No change then.
Ok, so if we prove matter can come from pure light, then God gets pushed into a father gap. God created the initial light!

Either way, the gaps are getting smaller and smaller. The butthurt will grow bigger and bigger.
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(May 19, 2014 at 1:14 am)max-greece Wrote: This will have biblical theists wetting their pants.

How would you be able to tell? They've been swimming in watery shit since 400AD.
Matter is bottled Light. I read that somewhere.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
We will ever be able to use cordless tools without a local energy source?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Wasn't it Moses who said E=MC^2?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Awesome
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 513 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3118 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2616 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1832 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2462 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2357 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 54733 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Origin of Matter RedSox 50 18451 June 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3318 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5857 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous