Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twilight and the Bible?
Shocked 
Twilight and the Bible?
Okay, I know I haven't posted in quite a while, largely attributed to traveling and a Nietzsche-like epiphany (similar to that at the end of Groundhog Day), but I really HAD to put this thought out.

HOW SIMILAR IS STEPHENIE MEYER'S WET DREAM TO THE BIBLE?

Inspired by a Christian friend, who saw me reading Dawkins' The God Delusion (paperback, with 'The International Bestseller printed on the cover) and haughtily remarking that far more copies of the Bible were sold throughout time. "Well," I thought, "How about Twilight?"

So I'm gonna try and make a basic comparison, anyone else who has actually bothered to read Smeyer's sexual fantasies can assist the thread.

1. Both international bestsellers with a cult-like fanbase.
2. Both feature a terribly imperfect, bumbling, accident-prone idiot as the protagonist. (A)
3. Addition of a perfect, beautiful non-human (B) whom the idiot in 2 worships.
4. After severe doubt and horrible distress, B suddenly reveals to A that he looooves her. (remind you of a certain Bible story, also featuring Satan?)

Last but certainly not least,

5. B treats A like sh*t, but that's all because He LOVES her.

That's all I can think of at the moment, please feel free to add!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

~We, the atheist, in creating a purpose for ourselves where there was none, are greater than God himself.~
RE: Twilight and the Bible?
well i guess they do sound pretty similar when you put it that way
Vampires will never hurt you.......Devil
twilight looks more reality based! a vampire is acceptable than son of god or god himself..
Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
they are the same in the sense that they are both shit and fictitious
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
twilight is not shit, i agree i dont like the films as much as the books though
Vampires will never hurt you.......Devil
Well the book can't be any worse than the movie. It sucked harder then my Dyson.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: Well the book can't be any worse than the movie. It sucked harder then my Dyson.

Snap--- although I have a Hoover which can suck a golf ball through garden hose. Much like my old girlfriend actually-------- If you are referring to the first one; I'm not bothering with the new one.

My impression is that both films were made for a specific demographic.Viz; adolescent girlies of both sexes.Devil
first two books were alright and but others were really very boring! i yawned throughout the last book cursing myself for wasting my time on this plot less series! the supposed last big war didn't even started! And bella struggled for shit in the last book!
Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
I haven't actually read ANY of the books. (Thank GOD.)(Actually, no.) I'm just getting really discontent at the current trends towards sexual pleasure in many aspects in our lives. Simple example: anyone else on deviantart? I can't help noticing that a lot of my friends who draw pictures of nude women and other similar things get far more views than, say, someone else, even if the quality was inversely so. So that's one thing about Twilight I can't really agree with.

But here's the thing: I've seen New Moon. Me and 7 friends went to watch for a laugh (and potentially ruin the movie for teenage girls dying for a figurative, cinematic orgasm) by yelling things like "CEDRIC'S ALIVE". What can I say? Such pranks can only entertain you for so long when the movie can't.

I mean, COME ON.

But back to topic: can anyone think of any other similarities? Big Grin
~We, the atheist, in creating a purpose for ourselves where there was none, are greater than God himself.~
Twilight is the Buffy/Angel relationship but with Mormon values of abstinence, less pragmatism, and Buffy replaced with a submissive idiot-girl instead of a girl who can take care of herself and thus doesn't need a man saving her every other page.