Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Oliver - Global Warming Video
John Oliver - Global Warming Video
Scroll down.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/27...tail=email
RE: John Oliver - Global Warming Video
Great article. I agree. To use an overused phrase, we've reached the tipping point. At last. Fuck's sake -- finally!!!!!!!!
Still not much in the way we can cope with climate change.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think we can do more than most realize:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/ap...ls-remove/

http://www.kgw.com/news/BPA-battery-capt...05111.html

http://www.gizmag.com/dual-carbon-fast-c...ery/32121/

For a start, we need to accept what is happening as true -- and then get behind technologies such as these as fast as we can to replace old fossil fuel technologies. We won't stop it. But we may be able to slow it enough to not kill off our species.

We also need to stop breeding.
Uh-oh. That will unleash the nut jobs.

[Image: CBN-Ireland-pro-life.jpg]
(May 28, 2014 at 10:22 pm)Raeven Wrote: For a start, we need to accept what is happening as true

Hear, hear. The biggest beef I have with the deniers is that they're hung up on it being caused by humans. They need to get the fuck over it, admit it's happening and help figure out what can be done [i]regardless of who/what has caused it.

(May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: CBN-Ireland-pro-life.jpg]

Whenever I see one of these photos, I always wonder "How many of the kids in this pic are adopted." After all, with their holier-than-thou rhetoric, you'd think the pro-lifers would be very pro adoption.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that very few are adopted.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 28, 2014 at 11:14 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote:
(May 28, 2014 at 10:22 pm)Raeven Wrote: For a start, we need to accept what is happening as true

Hear, hear. The biggest beef I have with the deniers is that they're hung up on it being caused by humans. They need to get the fuck over it, admit it's happening and help figure out what can be done [i]regardless of who/what has caused it.

Any scientist will tell you there is climate change. The climate has been changing since the earth was 1 day old. Any scientist will tell you humans have an effect on the climate. A Yak farting has an effect on the climate....cyanobacteria have an effect on the climate....every living organism has an effect on the climate.

What is being denied or to use a more accurate term....disputed....is the claim that climate change will lead to a catastrophe and that a change in our behavior is needed to prevent or lessen that catastrophe.

I'm not convinced that a change in our behavior is needed. However I'm not opposed to changing our behavior either. This is one of those instances were I differ to crowd wisdom. Let the Climate Asserters and the Climate Disputers duke it out....some change in behavior will result and the amount will probably be more optimal then my own judgment would dictate.
(May 29, 2014 at 1:35 am)Heywood Wrote: Any scientist will tell you there is climate change. The climate has been changing since the earth was 1 day old. Any scientist will tell you humans have an effect on the climate. A Yak farting has an effect on the climate....cyanobacteria have an effect on the climate....every living organism has an effect on the climate.

What is being denied or to use a more accurate term....disputed....is the claim that climate change will lead to a catastrophe and that a change in our behavior is needed to prevent or lessen that catastrophe.

I'm not convinced that a change in our behavior is needed. However I'm not opposed to changing our behavior either. This is one of those instances were I differ to crowd wisdom. Let the Climate Asserters and the Climate Disputers duke it out....some change in behavior will result and the amount will probably be more optimal then my own judgment would dictate.

Master of stating the obvious, to say that "any scientist will tell you there's climate change." More obviously, you haven't done the work. The science is there, it's indisputable the extent to which humans have caused the current trend of warming. THAT is what scientists are saying. They agree not just that it's happening, but that it's human caused. 97% agreed, actually. How did you miss that part?

It's happening and it's happening fast. The longer you sit on your ass and pretend there is an actual debate, the more it's going to take to fix it -- to the tune of half a trillion dollars for every year we wait. Since you're "not opposed to changing behavior, either," then start changing yours.
(May 29, 2014 at 2:09 am)Raeven Wrote: THAT is what scientists are saying. They agree not just that it's happening, but that it's human caused. 97% agreed, actually. How did you miss that part?

Citation please? Putting aside the appeal to authority/consensus… I keep hearing that figure.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(May 29, 2014 at 3:27 am)Darth Wrote:
(May 29, 2014 at 2:09 am)Raeven Wrote: THAT is what scientists are saying. They agree not just that it's happening, but that it's human caused. 97% agreed, actually. How did you miss that part?

Citation please? Putting aside the appeal to authority/consensus… I keep hearing that figure.

The appeal to authority is only a fallacy if the authority is inappropriate for the discussion being had. Citing the opinion of scientists trained in this field is exactly what we should be doing, here.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 591 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A side-effect of global warming. Jehanne 16 2610 June 4, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Global ocean discovered on Saturn moon Cyberman 24 5122 September 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Global Warming: Long term observations yield unsurprising results popeyespappy 55 9264 March 14, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Global temperatures since 1950 pocaracas 20 3690 February 21, 2014 at 5:17 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  Global warming skeptic does about face popeyespappy 6 2518 August 3, 2012 at 6:13 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Global warming study, with Koch funding. 5thHorseman 8 3727 August 1, 2012 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  GeoScience- Carbon feed back loops and Global Warming KichigaiNeko 1 1100 April 24, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Global warming. Man-made or not? Darwinian 8 3973 October 31, 2008 at 7:17 am
Last Post: leo-rcc