Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cosmic Myth of the Bible
Cosmic Myth of the Bible
At the risk of banishment, I have let the forum read part of the introduction to by publication "On Earth as it is in Heaven" in hopes of generating a discussion...and maybe promote a few sales. But hey, this is the book discussion area. It is not my fault I think the best book is one I happen to have written. This is the beginning of the...
Introduction

There were four beliefs of ancient Bible interpreters:

1) There was a cryptic or secret text contained within the Bible.
2) The Bible applied to their time, even though it was written centuries earlier.
3) The Bible was inerrant, even though the contradictions were apparent.
4) The Bible was divinely inspired, even though they were aware that men wrote and altered the text.

In fact, modern scholars are so self-righteous in their knowledge they proclaim, “The ancient interpreters did not know more than we do about the biblical world or about history or about Bible authors. They knew less.”
If we accepted for the sake of argument that the Bible has an astrological or cosmic intent, then all of the above statements would be true. Bible contradictions were astrological stories that applied to different peoples, places, and ages. Judaism and Christianity are astral-religions, as were all religions of the Mediterranean and Near Eastern region. Once you learn how to interpret the myth, recognizing cosmic myths becomes easy.
I do not wish to disengage my religious readers by using the terms astrology or myth. These stories were more than fictional tales. They had a place in history. There exists no exact word in English to precisely describe a cosmic myth related to an historical event. Nor are there any adequate terms used to describe history as being embellished to make it look like a cosmic myth.
The idea of biblical astrology is not widely accepted. This book may be difficult for a lay person, as few people are familiar with constellation folklore, Bronze Age history, and dead languages—especially when you mix them together. I have explained many of the fundamental background ideas that go into my thesis. The book is heavily sourced, mostly for scholars and skeptics.
I originally planned to take what are considered New Age authors of the late nineteenth century and repackage their ideas in light of new discoveries. I had trouble getting started and shelved the project for four years.
In 2002 I returned to the project. I realized I had been looking at the Bible all wrong. I needed to do some editing of the text to bring out the astronomical/astrological material. Armed with the infinite power and wisdom of the Internet, I felt I could breeze through the subject matter, having indexed libraries at my fingertips. As I discovered, it was not quite that easy. I ended up breaking much new ground.
As it turned out, the Bible stories were not just a haphazard collection of cosmic myths, but rather a contiguous story of the constellations. The final proof came when the remaining story of David was able to aptly coincide with the few unused remnant constellations of Sagittarius, Scorpio, and Ara. There were also smoking guns along the way, such as the story of Passover lining up with the vernal equinox; Joshua stopping the sun in the sky at a place of a supernova, which lit up the ancient sky as a nighttime sun; the winter solstice lining up with the blinding of the solar figure Samson; and the autumnal equinox coinciding with the death of Uriah. I am 100 percent certain that the text was a cosmic myth. This type of coincidence just does not happen.
This thesis provides a logical basis to explain why a book supposedly written in the Iron Age has detailed knowledge of a period one thousand years prior to it. It explains the chronological problems of the Bible without dismissing science or simply attributing those problems to the ignorance of the authors. In many ways the book is a compromise between the believer and the minimalist. I would say more than a compromise, but in one sense this is true: it recognizes the legitimacy of the desire to integrate holy writ with the truths of nature—here, the truths of the celestial heavens as they were understood. This was the legitimate and logical aim of pre-scientific wisdom.
A point of explanation: when I use the term “cosmic myth,“ that is not to say that everything is fictional. The stars were used to predict the future. As such, man’s past was also incorporated into the heavens. The cosmic myth was a combined history of the heavens and the Earth. This would mean that real people, places, and events MUST be the background for the text. Cities were placed into the tale to correspond to their heavenly location. The names of people were changed.
We can identify Moses, Joshua, David, Solomon, Abimelech, and Jotham as being based in part on historical figures. Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Noah, Samson, Goliath, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph appear to be story-bound.
We will discuss the following points in detail throughout this thesis. This is a summary of the heretical ideas I present in this text.

The three main points of this text:
• The Bible was composed as a living document, which contradicts both Wellhausen and the unified text theory.
• The foundation, which I call the Proto-text, was written in the Middle Bronze Age.
• The text corresponded to the constellations.

Corollaries include the following:
• Several characters in the text have been reworked from the legends and histories of Akkadian Kings. For example, Moses was a representation of Sargon combined with Marduk.
• Solomon was not part of the cosmic myth except for his crowning. He was the historical Hammurabi.
• Both Gilgamesh and the cosmic David were representations of Naräm-Sîn.
• The Great Famine was the historical background for the plagues of Egypt. Pepi II was the pharaoh during this era.
• Cultural and historical influences as well as equinox precessions caused the Hebrews to add passages to the Proto-text. They added text using the identical techniques used to expand Gilgamesh.
• Midrashim serve as a connecting link, or a “Rosetta Stone,” which ties the Greek cosmic myth to the Hebrew cosmic myth in its correct constellation location.
• The Philistines were actually Phoenicians in some of the texts.
• The Amorites were the original Hebrews.
• Parts of the Gospels of Jesus were representations of a cosmic myth utilizing the Greco-Roman interpretation of the constellations.

What is unique about my work is how it takes what we think we know to be facts written in stone and in the stars and weave them into a paradigm which challenges the work of scholars such as Joseph Campbell, and forever alters how we will henceforth approach the study of religion and myth—assuming we can ever separate the two again.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
RE: Cosmic Myth of the Bible
Sounds like a lot of fun for an Atheist to make counter-claims that would sound offensive to a christian ear Big Grin I hate how you've combined astronomy with the bible because now I feel like the bible's moochin the goods off the solar system - Does seriously sound like a great read esp' considering the three wise men were ancient astronomers!
Is this your first novel?
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
(January 5, 2010 at 9:17 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Sounds like a lot of fun for an Atheist to make counter-claims that would sound offensive to a christian ear Big Grin I hate how you've combined astronomy with the bible because now I feel like the bible's moochin the goods off the solar system - Does seriously sound like a great read esp' considering the three wise men were ancient astronomers!
Is this your first novel?

LOL, not a novel. Nor is it my first book. The three wise men were most likely fictional representations of the 3 stars in the belt of Orion. I didn't combine astronomy with the Bible. I am just the messenger. I attempt in my book to be gentle with religious readers and not insulting (different from my first book), while at the same time look at the archeological record and attempt to explain why the Bible story is different from it, without insulting the intellect of its authors.

The only solar sytem items I "mooch off" are the sun, moon, and Venus.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Not meant to mean you Ledo, I don't mean you "mooched" astronomy, I mean the all prevalent 'bible'. I'm annoyed in a way because I love astronomy so much that I'm interested in reading your book which will encourage me to rereead the bible.
I can't imagine the bible's stories operating solely from the sun, moon, and venus, however. Doesn't your book include orions belt? Or the star which seems to hover above the horizon for three days before ''rising'' again?
I'm not picking on the book, only interested to find out more about it. I have to be a bit selective about what I'm going to read because it takes too much time from reading other things. I've written some fiction, mostly thriller/horror and psychological thrillers that were reasonably short (approx) 60,000 words. What word count bracket does "On Earth as it is in Heaven" fall into?
The sun, moon, and Venus are only SOLAR SYSTEM elements. All 48 constellations are included. If you go to Amazon, find the book, you can do an interior search. By writing this book I have been able to teach myself the location of the constellations and their basic astrological meaning, simply by knowing the Bible stories. The book has about 70,000 words of text and an addition 40,000 words in endnotes. Because of the nature of the book, I extensively document sources and often quote my source in addition to just a mention. The book is filled with facts and is rather information intense. I would not consider it a light read.
The book reviews say good things about the relation of ancient astrological myth to that of the written bible. I find that I would be more sold on my interest in astrology than the bible. Maybe the astrology needs to be marketed with more vigour and those relevancies in modern life. I like that I can read the book within 70,000 words which means it would be a very swift re-read, less the content laden properties you mentioned earlier.
I hear that you learned a lot about astrology and the constellations through study and writting this book but I'm wondering if your book delivers this information so that I am able to understand the constellations as well as you, or whether the book's focus will remain centred on biblical stories relation to the solar systems myths embedded in the bronze age, etc.
I suppose I really want to know what "proportion" of the text deals with astronomy compared with the bible (I understand the difficulty in the question - especially as a writer), I'm Not trying to sound critical or forming an opinion against your book, just want to know what sort of read it will become if my interest in mostly in astronomy.
After a lengthy Intro and preface, the book is divided into chapters based on the chonological sequence of stories in the Bible. Each story is compared to the stars and constellation(s) that it corresponds to. In that chapter I also compare the story to similar myths and/or use the appropiate midrash. I also give the modern astrological meaning of the main stars and/or constellation associated withg the story as a curious comparison. Most of time it aligns very well, or even adds to the tale, sometimes it does not. If there is an historical background to the story, I will also give it.

I then look at the story and see what changes or additions were made to the original text or Proto-text and attempt to explain these changes in a mostly cosmological fashion, i.e. changes to the equinox, or changes in how the "Hebrews" viewed the constellations due to outside cultural influences.

Promising to be very worthwhile reading. I like the mythological creature/astrological connections and the connotations of these in the bible's stories.
Perfect for getting to know more about the bible than those who preach it!

I'm getting a copy for myself.
(January 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm)LEDO Wrote: After a lengthy Intro and preface, the book is divided into chapters based on the chonological sequence of stories in the Bible. Each story is compared to the stars and constellation(s) that it corresponds to. In that chapter I also compare the story to similar myths and/or use the appropiate midrash. I also give the modern astrological meaning of the main stars and/or constellation associated withg the story as a curious comparison. Most of time it aligns very well, or even adds to the tale, sometimes it does not. If there is an historical background to the story, I will also give it.

I then look at the story and see what changes or additions were made to the original text or Proto-text and attempt to explain these changes in a mostly cosmological fashion, i.e. changes to the equinox, or changes in how the "Hebrews" viewed the constellations due to outside cultural influences.

Hide tags? Learn something new every day.
Good one
Arrow