Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The vanilla bean-evolutionary quandry
The vanilla bean-evolutionary quandry
Just read about it.
Native to Mexico, the vine was brought to Europe in the 1500s but the plant would not pollinate over there.
It is fertile one morning per year and must be done within 12 hours.

Later, it was found out there is a certain kind of bee that knows how to lift a little hood-like membrane to expose the goodies.
The Melipona bee does it's thing from flower to flower and the fruit that comes forth is vanilla.
The bee AND the plant needed to be on the scene from day one, or there would be NO vanilla ice-cream today.
RE: The vanilla bean-evolutionary quandry
psst....'coevolution'...pass it on....

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The arguments just keep getting dumber and dumber. You'd think at some point they'd just give up but no.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Co-evolution.....?
Those bees and vines sure were lucky to make themselves at exactly the same time.
Whoda thought.. Maybe a blind date?
(June 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm)professor Wrote: Co-evolution.....?
Those bees and vines sure were lucky to make themselves at exactly the same time.

That's the whole point of coevolution - they didn't make themselves at the same time. Look up the word, study up a bit, and get back to us. You aren't going to get anywhere parroting someone else's ignorance.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm)professor Wrote: Co-evolution.....?

Quote:co·ev·o·lu·tion
ˌkōevəˈlo͞oSHən,-ēvə-/
nounBIOLOGY
the influence of closely associated species on each other in their evolution.

Your argument assumes:
1. Evolution does not take place
2. Therefore the plant and bee have always been in the same form there are now.

The more likely scenario: The bee and food source co-evolved over a long period of time, thus appear in the form they are today.

The Vanilla Bean orchid is estimated to be 60-70 million years old. Do you think it might have changed in that amount of time?

Quote:Bees, the largest (>16,000 species) and most important radiation of pollinating insects, originated in early to mid-Cretaceous, roughly in synchrony with the angiosperms (flowering plants). Understanding the diversification of the bees and the coevolutionary history of bees and angiosperms requires a well supported phylogeny of bees (as well as angiosperms). We reconstructed a robust phylogeny of bees at the family and subfamily levels using a data set of five genes (4,299 nucleotide sites)
http://www.pnas.org/content/103/41/15118.full

Do you think some of the 16,000 species bees may have adapted to the plants they evolved to feed from?
A good documentary series to watch on biodiversity and how animals and plants rely on each other:

http://www.chrispackham.co.uk/television...ing-planet

Quote:Chris reveals:
Why a crab in the swamps of Bangladesh needs a tiger
Why the mighty Brazil nut tree needs a rare orchid and a small rodent
Why a small gecko in Kenya needs a giraffe
Why the North American lynx needs a tiny moth caterpillar

Clip:

The Brazil nut episode is probably the best one showcasing three completely different species all having a massive effect on each other's survival. Without one the others would not be able to survive. I can't seem to find the clip on youtube though but if I find it I'll update this post.

But I'm struggling to understand what 'evolutionary quandary' we are talking about. Completely unique ecosystems have evolved all over the world. The Galapagos Islands have species not found elsewhere in the world, and many of the species there wouldn't be able to survive anywhere else. Is it really a surprise that animals would evolve in tandem and develop reliances with other species depending on their environment?

I guess it is to someone who doesn't understand evolution.
Ahh... co-evolution. Yet another example of the awesome predictive power of Darwin's theory.

Case in point, the Madagascar Sphinx Moth and the Comet Orchid:

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I still couldn't find the video I was looking for but I did find something else that basically sums up what I was thinking of (come to think of it I'm not sure if it was a Chris Packham documentary).

Either way:
http://iwanticewater.wordpress.com/2013/...razil-nut/

I'd give a quote but you really need to read the whole thing to get how each species relies on each other.
(June 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm)professor Wrote: Just read about it.
Native to Mexico, the vine was brought to Europe in the 1500s but the plant would not pollinate over there.
It is fertile one morning per year and must be done within 12 hours.

Later, it was found out there is a certain kind of bee that knows how to lift a little hood-like membrane to expose the goodies.
The Melipona bee does it's thing from flower to flower and the fruit that comes forth is vanilla.
The bee AND the plant needed to be on the scene from day one, or there would be NO vanilla ice-cream today.

Would you please, please, please change your fucking user name?!? You insult every professor in the world, even the one on Gilligan's Island, by calling yourself that.

If you really can't think of something else, let me know. I've got some good suggestions! [Image: Angel16.gif]
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 10656 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 364 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Evolutionary fine tuning ... ignoramus 10 1233 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Evolutionary Tree RoadRunner79 165 23547 September 8, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1024 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Evolutionary Science Grinds On... Minimalist 19 5007 March 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Evolutionary biology adopting religious traits tantric 55 10313 December 29, 2014 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4062 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  The evolutionary puzzle of homosexuality downbeatplumb 1 1488 February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  The Dangerous Side of Evolutionary Change... Minimalist 16 5254 January 29, 2014 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Darkstar