Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK TV show starts next week- Meet The Mormons
UK TV show starts next week- Meet The Mormons
This looks pretty interesting. Already I have learned that they have to wear magic underpants and are not allowed out of each other's sight.
Should give me loads of ammunition next time they knock on my door.
http://www.channel4.com/info/press/progr...he-mormons
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
RE: UK TV show starts next week- Meet The Mormons
Oh channel 4. Sometimes they make such great shows...and other times they don't (gypsy weddings...urgh!)

Guess it will be interesting to see how they life their missionary lives over here, however past 'altercations' with them and their sometimes very intimidating tactics of cornering people on street corners to talk about their fucking book has left a lasting bitter taste in my mouth whenever I see them, and there's a Mormon enclave (?)/church/missionary about 15 minutes away from me, so I see them a lot.

"Can we walk with you and talk to you about Jesus?"
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: and there's a Mormon enclave (?)/church/missionary about 15 minutes away from me, so I see them a lot.

"Can we walk with you and talk to you about Jesus?"

Ah but now you'll be able to turn that around:
" No, let's talk about you instead. How are the magic underpants? Are you allowed to have sex yet? Do they pick your missus for you?"

I think this will be a disaster for them. PR wise ROFLOL
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(June 21, 2014 at 1:59 pm)vodkafan Wrote: I think this will be a disaster for them. PR wise

I certainly hope so, but I think it depends on how sympathetic the producers are or how much the church will be involved in production. I couldn't glean this from the article. Judging from the line that stated the church is allowing cameras to be put on the UK contingent for the first time gives me pause. The Mormon church won't condone an unusual sneeze if they deem it contrary to promoting the faith.

If I'm not mistaken I thought we had a recent new member that was either an active missionary in the UK or had at least had the experience. The name immediately escapes me.
(June 21, 2014 at 2:15 pm)Cato Wrote:
(June 21, 2014 at 1:59 pm)vodkafan Wrote: I think this will be a disaster for them. PR wise

I certainly hope so, but I think it depends on how sympathetic the producers are or how much the church will be involved in production. I couldn't glean this from the article. Judging from the line that stated the church is allowing cameras to be put on the UK contingent for the first time gives me pause. The Mormon church won't condone an unusual sneeze if they deem it contrary to promoting the faith.

If I'm not mistaken I thought we had a recent new member that was either an active missionary in the UK or had at least had the experience. The name immediately escapes me.

Yes I think I think he was a newbie that posted once but didn't return. He was a missionary in the UK but wanted to renounce the faith. Deus ex or something was his name?

Was kind of hoping he returned to post a bit more to be honest.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Given the goofy America-centric conceit of the Book of Mormon, I really don't understand what the appeal of Mormonism would be for people outside the U.S. Do their foreign mission efforts really lead to converts?

I hope the show is a disaster for them, and I hope a lot of people in the U.S. see it too -- specially in Utah and other western states.
The Bible is focused on Judea and the Koran is centered on Arabia. Consider how many billions of people who don't even know where those places are worship those ethnocentric religious fairy tales. A lot of people around the world eagerly convert to Mormonism. A number of black Africans love it.
http://globalmormonism.byu.edu/?page_id=30
(June 21, 2014 at 5:12 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Given the goofy America-centric conceit of the Book of Mormon, I really don't understand what the appeal of Mormonism would be for people outside the U.S. Do their foreign mission efforts really lead to converts?

I hope the show is a disaster for them, and I hope a lot of people in the U.S. see it too -- specially in Utah and other western states.

Not sure either, but they do seem to be growing, there is a sizable Mormon temple not far from where I grew up. In my experience they almost always started with an assumption that we were active christians, and thus doomed to fail with myself from the start. Baptists are infinitely more annoying in that regard. The major thing with the Mormons seems to be the family tree stuff that they're obsessed with, and seems to be the major hook amongst people who've given them the time of day.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
The Mormons believe in baptizing the dead, which was an original Christian ritual. The Christians gave it up and started baptizing babies. The theory was to get them before they die instead of afterwards.
(June 21, 2014 at 5:12 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Given the goofy America-centric conceit of the Book of Mormon, I really don't understand what the appeal of Mormonism would be for people outside the U.S. Do their foreign mission efforts really lead to converts?

Ah but you miss the "secret" teachings (now all over the net) about how everyone can become a god on his own planet with multiple wives (or at least they can if they are a man). Don't you want to be a god with a harem?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24518 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2722 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11234 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Just to show that the 'Murricans don't have the monopoly on christian crazy GUBU 5 1687 April 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Looks like there might be Mormons ambushing people shoppers today... ReptilianPeon 23 3260 February 3, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The next time someone says their religious text is a literary miracle... ReptilianPeon 4 1694 October 22, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Daily Show....and Poor Discriminated Against Xtians.... Minimalist 14 4064 July 30, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Reza Aslan on The Daily Show Saxmoof 5 1459 May 16, 2015 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Two Mormons knocked on my door today vodkafan 10 2817 June 2, 2014 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 7763 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72