Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Am I justified?
Information 
Am I justified?
I have a facebook account like many of you do and one thing I find to be VERY irritating are the ones who feel they need to post about their religion all the time.

Who I am speaking of is my partners family. So I removed them from my friends list and blocked them.

Too much or justified?

P.S. I ditched my whole family about 3 years ago for the same reason. And because they do not support me for who I am, gay.
RE: Am I justified?
Seems justified to me. I typically just ignore the religious stuff my family/friends post, or block those sites that they share. Then again my Facebook "friends" list is very small, it is limited to people that I actually want to hear from. I have dropped lots of people over the years, though not due to religious content. I don't need to read eight or nine daily updates about the awful hairdo on that lady you saw on the bus, or how nasty your hot dog tasted.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 26, 2014 at 6:04 am)Tonus Wrote: Seems justified to me. I typically just ignore the religious stuff my family/friends post, or block those sites that they share. Then again my Facebook "friends" list is very small, it is limited to people that I actually want to hear from. I have dropped lots of people over the years, though not due to religious content. I don't need to read eight or nine daily updates about the awful hairdo on that lady you saw on the bus, or how nasty your hot dog tasted.

Thank you for cheering me up. I do love his family, but I feel like I am stuck seeing it and hearing it. When we go down to visit his family, they have to pray before eating. I am just so tired of having this stuff in my face all the time.

Me and my partners nephew had it out this morning over a post, while silly I can understand, I am just sick of people not respecting other space.

I too have a small list of friends. But I am just ready to explode. I feel I am never respected, but I am suppose to respect their fairy tales. Forget about trying to explain to them how evidence does not support their faith.

I mean can we really and truly be respectful of someone's faith when it is always in our face?

I could use more atheist friends, that is for sure.

P.S. My partner does believe in god, but he does not shove it in my face. Should I tell him I do not wish to keep going to see his family?
(June 26, 2014 at 6:10 am)Raindropz Wrote: P.S. My partner does believe in god, but he does not shove it in my face. Should I tell him I do not wish to keep going to see his family?
I don't know, because I have no idea how he will react and how that would affect you. You might want to approach it by discussing how the way they treat you makes you feel, and seeing how he feels about it. Perhaps you will find a middle ground, where you visit less frequently in exchange for quietly putting up with it. Or maybe he decides it's better to talk with them about it. It all depends on the personalities (and tempers) involved.

My family is almost all Christian, but they belong to various denominations. Mostly Jehovah's Witnesses, who typically look down on every other religion including other Christian religions. But they have kept in touch with my sisters (both of who left the JW faith long ago) and with my uncle who was pretty disdainful of JWs. So I guess for them, family bonds were more important. My twin sister (Christian, one of those very liberal churches that starts with an "E"... Episcopalian?) is aware that I am an atheist and has no issue with it, but we never did discuss religion so it was never a problem.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
You can stop viewing someone's posts on facebook by unfollowing them, did you know that? I say this only because I've often got annoyed by posts people make, but would rather not have to justify myself to them the next time I see them when they ask "why did you delete me on facebook?". I went through a phase of deleting several hundred people, and a fair few asked me that question. Kinda hard to be honest and say "I just think your posts are total shit and I'm not interested in hearing from you" when there are just some people you can't remove from your life no matter how hard you try. i.e. family, co-workers, school friends
Yeah you can select not to see a person's posts on your timeline too. I do that a lot. I like the people I just don't want to know that much about them.
First off, thank you all very much. I guess from having religion always in my face I am becoming more and more bitter by it. I am finding it harder and harder to respect. Also, I did unfollow some people, but why even bother doing that? Why not just ditch them? I know it is easier said then done, but I did remove them and blocked them from contacting me. I have even thought about blocking their phone numbers as well.

Something I do a lot and I am sure it is not a great way to keep a healthy relationship alive is, I am very blunt. I just tell my partner what I think and I move on, but on the other hand, he is not blunt and it has taken him time to get use to me. Something I never really had as a kid was true love, so understanding how to properly handle emotional moments with certain people have never been something I am good at. The only thing I feel bad about is that he will be in the middle of it all. He does love his family and he does have a good relationship with them, but nothing I would say close, but it is not bad.

I am just at my breaking point. Once a Atheist says something to a fake christian, oh hell breaks loose. In the end I question who really suffers from not being able to think the way they feel?

I know this is probably not nice, but I told my partner of over 4 years that if he feels he wants someone who can handle the religion and that is what he wants, then have at it. I am just at my breaking point.
I do not use Facebook anymore.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 26, 2014 at 9:42 am)Kitanetos Wrote: I do not use Facebook anymore.

LOL
(June 26, 2014 at 5:59 am)Raindropz Wrote: I have a facebook account like many of you do and one thing I find to be VERY irritating are the ones who feel they need to post about their religion all the time.

Who I am speaking of is my partners family. So I removed them from my friends list and blocked them.

Too much or justified?

P.S. I ditched my whole family about 3 years ago for the same reason. And because they do not support me for who I am, gay.

You are justified to end any relationship you see fit to keep you happy and I'm proud of people like you who don't let religious people push you around or let dictate your life or influence your decisions. You're especially in the right if they are posting Anti-Gay religious shit. I'm not gay but I would unfriend them anyway because I just hate bigots and wish they would have to deal with it so they learn some fucking empathy, like with Republicans hating poor people until they become poor themselves. Some people can be friends with people who are awful just because they are social people but for someone like myself I have to distance myself from that kind of poison. I know it's hard to leave your family behind but if you went to that extreme then they must not deserve you as a family member.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That atheism is not rationally justified Dolorian 43 9329 October 30, 2014 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon