Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Self ?
What is Self ?
I don't know. . .but I guess maybe it looks like this . .

Desire
(animal minds?)

Mind
(conscious and subconscious)

vibration - - - - - - - - - - - - + - - - - - - - - - - - - vibration

Heart

Soul

maybe there are other theories etc. . . .
RE: What is Self ?
I think it looks more like this:

Mind

Why do people always ask this?
Because people have God inside them (cause) . . . and they must eliminate ALL GOD, internal and external (effect).
(June 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm)Muslim Atheism Wrote: Because people have God inside them (cause) . . . and they must eliminate ALL GOD, internal and external (effect).

I have no idea what the hell your on about..

I'm not entirely convinced what we call 'self' is anything more than an illusion. I sometimes wonder if we are just helpless observers shouting at the TV to no effect, only to find we can't even control the shouting.
I don'k know but doing this....

[Image: original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1]

...to "What is self?" doesn't have the same impact. Undecided
Self is the part of the mind that thinks it matters.
(June 27, 2014 at 2:58 pm)Muslim Atheism Wrote: I don't know. . .but I guess maybe it looks like this . .

Desire
(animal minds?)

Mind
(conscious and subconscious)

vibration - - - - - - - - - - - - + - - - - - - - - - - - - vibration

Heart

Soul

maybe there are other theories etc. . . .

It is unlikely that 'self' arrived fully formed in the human mind. It is also possible that what we perceive as a single experience of 'self' is a multi-layered construct. I personally find Damasio's Theory of consciousness rather compelling and it gives us a rudimentary map of how 'self' might be constructed.

Essentially (and I'm not going to do this the justice it deserves in this post, so this is a bit of a cut n' paste job) Damasio proposes three layers to 'self' each one using its lower form to build upon.

Protoself - the most basic representation of 'self', as Damasio puts it, '... a coherent collection of neural patterns, which map moment-by-moment the state of the physical structure of the organism"

Core Consciousness - When the organism becomes aware of the feeling that its bodily state (Protoself) is being affected by its experiences, or response to emotion, Core Consciousness is born.

and finally

Extended Consciousness - When consciousness moves beyond the here and now, Damasio’s third and final layer emerges as Extended Consciousness.

You can read about it here...

Damasio's Theory of Consciousness - Wiki

I'm not suggesting this is the final and only answer but it give us an insight, or at least a very basic road map, into how self (or consciousness) evolved and is structured.

Sadly the word 'vibration' has become ubiquitous in so called 'new-age' philosophy where there is a gap in real world explanations for metaphysical concepts. It's meaningless, people need to stop using it.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
This might help.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LMrzdk_YnYY
Thank you. .

The vibration because I'm based on the understanding that everything is about magnetic fields. . and the "desire" (pure motivation) and "mind" (pure understanding) can produce the right code to connect to the heart. Therefore, there might some form of vibration, wave or energy etc. For example. . . unstable energy that burns his cloth after meditation.

Buddha Boy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1209 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15080 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? Ignorant 69 7766 May 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Does a "True Self" Exist? Salacious B. Crumb 68 14323 July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am
Last Post: chasbanner
  Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths Mudhammam 4 1816 July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3829 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Determinism Is Self Defeating Koolay 220 56996 July 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  "Touching a Nerve: The Self as Brain" by philosopher Patricia Churchland Whateverist 12 5198 June 29, 2013 at 12:43 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  When Does Self-Righteousness Emerge? JollyForr 3 1310 February 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Is everything we do self serving? Pel 12 3806 January 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor