Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predisposition to religion
Predisposition to religion
Are there any neurological or psychological factors that increase the probability of an individual being a theist/religious? Something like a believer gene or a religiosity gene?

I've read some stuff about it, but I haven't reached a conclusion yet.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Predisposition to religion
Yes that is interesting, I think its called the G-Spot in the brain, or the God Spot, its up for debate, so I don't know if its true or not, all I know it must have something to do with the brain, because it just wouldn't happen without a brain lol.
(July 12, 2014 at 9:09 pm)psychoslice Wrote: Yes that is interesting, I think its called the G-Spot in the brain, or the God Spot, its up for debate, so I don't know if its true or not, all I know it must have something to do with the brain, because it just wouldn't happen without a brain lol.

I sometimes consider the existence of the 'god spot' because I know very smart people, great critical thinkers that continue to believe in god despite lack of evidence... I kinda think it could be a predisposition. Why does someone who require proof to buy a car, require non to believe in a god?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

MMM, I wonder if there's a A-Spot in the brain lol.

(July 12, 2014 at 9:11 pm)Blackout Wrote:
(July 12, 2014 at 9:09 pm)psychoslice Wrote: Yes that is interesting, I think its called the G-Spot in the brain, or the God Spot, its up for debate, so I don't know if its true or not, all I know it must have something to do with the brain, because it just wouldn't happen without a brain lol.

I sometimes consider the existence of the 'god spot' because I know very smart people, great critical thinkers that continue to believe in god despite lack of evidence... I kinda think it could be a predisposition. Why does someone who require proof to buy a car, require non to believe in a god?

I don't know, but it certainty is a good question.
IMHO, there might be, but like "god himself", it has no real impact on reality.
What makes you barrack for one team over another? Loyalty to a car manufacturer, etc.

Our brains are empty when born, therefore while growing up our "young" reality is quite different to when we are older.
The trick to indoctrination is to imbed "god" whilst the brain is young and has no reason to deny or question.

Then good luck trying to reverse this process. "Mysterious Ways" is a very important explanation to keep even the grown adults faithful without question.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
There is also some findings on the connection of Seizures causing sufferers more susceptible to having religious experiences. I myself had Seizures when I was young, and I also had a very deep feeing of being connected to all there is, call that God or whatever, so yea there might be something to it.