Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you know you'll still be you when you get to heaven?
How do you know you'll still be you when you get to heaven?
Supposedly when you accept Yahweh/Allah/Jesus into your heart, he takes out all the parts he doesn't like, and the rest goes to be with him in heaven. Except that people are the sum of their parts. If you take away their life experiences, how can you say they will be themselves anymore? How is that different from having a lobotomy? You might say that it just removes the darker parts, but leaves the lighter parts, but the dark and the light are still parts of you. You just wouldn't be the same if you took out chunks of your life and thoughts and replace them with whatever another person finds more acceptable.

Over time heaven has just felt less and less appealing to me. It may not make me as miserable as immediately as being tortured in hell, but even if it is really me up there, and I'm not some automaton who can only feel what god wants me to feel, then it will wear down until I want to leave just as badly.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: How do you know you'll still be you when you get to heaven?
One of the big questions that I like to ask about heaven is: is there free will in heaven? Because one of the most common things I hear theists say is that God doesn't directly and indisputably reveal himself to every individual because he doesn't want to break their free will by forcing belief in and worship of himself upon them. However in heaven one would assume that the existence and character of God would be indisputable and directly present to everyone, so they lose the ability to disbelieve. It seems like heaven would be full of robots.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I've heard that you can't have free will without sin. That's why sin exists. Except that implies there is no free will in heaven. You can't have it both ways. If free will exists in heaven, and there's no sin, then eradicating sin on earth shouldn't effect free will.

Removing "sins", i.e. the parts of you that god doesn't like, sounds a lot like reprogramming you. Heaven doesn't sound all that pleasant once you get past the mansions and streets of gold. You get everything you want. As long as it's ok with god. Which unfortunately excludes a lot of things humans like to do.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

One question that I can't seem to get a straight answer from theists is are you allowed to leave heaven?

Heaven isn't heaven if you're denied the freedom and liberty to leave whenever you want. Its a glorified prison.
You're not supposed to want to leave. Plus the only place left to go is hell.

(July 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I've heard that you can't have free will without sin. That's why sin exists. Except that implies there is no free will in heaven. You can't have it both ways. If free will exists in heaven, and there's no sin, then eradicating sin on earth shouldn't effect free will.

Removing "sins", i.e. the parts of you that god doesn't like, sounds a lot like reprogramming you. Heaven doesn't sound all that pleasant once you get past the mansions and streets of gold. You get everything you want. As long as it's ok with god. Which unfortunately excludes a lot of things humans like to do.

I can't quite recall from whom I heard this idea, I think Matt Dillahunty, but I find it a great thought experiment. It goes something like:

"It could be that nobody we know goes to heaven. According to a huge portion of Christians, I (an atheist) am going to end up in Hell or be destroyed after I die. My mom, being a devout Christian, ends up in heaven. She knows that I'm being tortured forever or at least that she'll never get to see me again and that I can't enjoy the best possible existence God has to offer. Being a loving mother, she'll suffer and be hurt because she knows her son is enduring horrible agony. However, suffering is supposedly not possible in heaven, as it's supposed to be perfect. That means that wherever my mom is after she's dead, it isn't heaven since she's allowed to suffer, or if she is totally happy with the fact I'm being tortured, it's not my mom, and is instead some facsimile of her with parts of her personality removed."
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
It's pretty obvious that the people who made this crap up and continue to believe it today are not the sharpest tools in uncle's woodshed.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 22, 2014 at 1:50 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(July 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I've heard that you can't have free will without sin. That's why sin exists. Except that implies there is no free will in heaven. You can't have it both ways. If free will exists in heaven, and there's no sin, then eradicating sin on earth shouldn't effect free will.

I can't quite recall from whom I heard this idea, I think Matt Dillahunty, but I find it a great thought experiment. It goes something like:

"It could be that nobody we know goes to heaven. According to a huge portion of Christians, I (an atheist) am going to end up in Hell or be destroyed after I die. My mom, being a devout Christian, ends up in heaven. She knows that I'm being tortured forever or at least that she'll never get to see me again and that I can't enjoy the best possible existence God has to offer. Being a loving mother, she'll suffer and be hurt because she knows her son is enduring horrible agony. However, suffering is supposedly not possible in heaven, as it's supposed to be perfect. That means that wherever my mom is after she's dead, it isn't heaven since she's allowed to suffer, or if she is totally happy with the fact I'm being tortured, it's not my mom, and is instead some facsimile of her with parts of her personality removed."

That's a good way to put it too. I'm afraid that if I am myself in heaven, I won't enjoy it, and if I do totally enjoy it for all eternity, I'm not really me anymore.

As I see it, as an atheist I am guaranteed a place in this heaven (in the context of the scenario, obviously). Since I am to be punished for my unbelief, "God" knows exactly what that punishment would need to be. The absolute worst case option for me as an evil atheist would be to reside forever in "God's" kingdom, being made to lick holy arse - or arsey hole - and stroke deity dick for eternity.

As to whether I'll still be me doing all that: well, any version of me that would be okay with that kind of lickspittle existence, as well as being made to not care about all those (including loved ones) going to hell, wouldn't be any kind of me that I'd recognise - or want anything to do with.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 22, 2014 at 1:33 pm)Chad32 Wrote: You just wouldn't be the same if you took out chunks of your life and thoughts and replace them with whatever another person finds more acceptable.
Kinda like marriage? Thinking

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36018 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3311 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8007 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2518 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  The witness argument (yet again, I know, I know) Mystic 81 11140 August 19, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1783 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4559 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21166 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hell and heaven purplepurpose 14 2757 August 23, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
Question Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty" fruyian 141 16305 May 18, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue