Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Christian Uncle
My Christian Uncle
My uncle is a great guy. He has always been there for me and never judged me or shut me out like the rest of my family. He is the dad to me that my dad should have been. I have lost most of my family due to my divorce and my being a "bad Christian", but he's always been by my side. He encourages me and he loves me and I love him. I can't lie to him. I just can't. It would feel like a violation of a trusting relationship we have and I don't have many people I really trust. Trust is something I just can't do usually. I've been avoiding the subject until today I just felt like I couldn't avoid it.

[Image: IesECWF.jpg]
[Image: 7zcUnzR.jpg]

I tried a little white lie with the "I'll try" when I had no intention of doing so, but then he pushed it further.
I don't think I can stand to be a disappointment in the eyes of one more person that I need. I just can't. I don't know what to do.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: My Christian Uncle
Our heroes change as our perspectives change. It might hurt to tell the truth now but I think you'll feel more honest and liberated in the long run. Someone who truly loves you and supports you will be able to see past your lack of belief. If not, it's time to find some new heroes and mentors.

Wishing you the best, I went through a similar situation in my family. I've determined that my family is that of my choosing and not of my birth. <3
The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
Charge your phone girl.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 23, 2014 at 1:21 pm)Losty Wrote: I don't know what to do.
I understand 'prayer' to be a form of meditation. Whenever I'm feeling stressed I like to take a time-out to take some deep breaths and find peace within. It doesn't have to be a pious ceremony - a cup of herbal tea can be meditative. Just relax and clear your mind. As for how to deal with your uncle... You'd be surprised at what marvelous 'answers' one learns they already have while meditating. Levitate

(July 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm)Amalynne0 Wrote: I've determined that my family is that of my choosing and not of my birth. <3
Truer words were never spoken. Kudos.
You can be honest and compassionate at the same time. Something to the effect of "I genuinely appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think prayer would help me. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts, i love you" or something like that.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(July 23, 2014 at 1:34 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: You can be honest and compassionate at the same time. Something to the effect of "I genuinely appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think prayer would help me. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts, i love you" or something like that.

I'm just afraid to tell him that. I mean, I just don't want to lose that one last piece of family that I can look up to, even if it's just an illusion.
Bah today is just not a great day. Maybe I'll just let him think I'm struggling with belief for now. No need to tell him that I actually don't believe at all. Ugh Sad
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm)Losty Wrote: No need to tell him that I actually don't believe at all.
Agreed.
Losty Wrote:Ugh Sad
(July 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Just relax and clear your mind.
(July 23, 2014 at 1:21 pm)Losty Wrote: I don't think I can stand to be a disappointment in the eyes of one more person that I need. I just can't. I don't know what to do.

I'd go onward with honesty. From the texts it looks like the route you are already heading. You don't have to be harsh about it or anything. Just let him know that its not for you a little more clearly. Dancing around it makes it look like you are giving in.

He sounds like a nice guy I can't see him having a problem with it.
Clarifying question: Does your uncle not know you're an atheist?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(July 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm)Losty Wrote: I'm just afraid to tell him that. I mean, I just don't want to lose that one last piece of family that I can look up to, even if it's just an illusion.
Bah today is just not a great day. Maybe I'll just let him think I'm struggling with belief for now. No need to tell him that I actually don't believe at all. Ugh Sad

Continue saying you aren't comfortable talking about it. I think if you make out that you are just having a "crisis of faith" it might keep coming up. If you let him know you really don't want to talk about it, you might nip that in the bud.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1086 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My Uncle Bobby Passed Away this Weekend Rhondazvous 21 1091 July 11, 2018 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  So Santa was uncle Moe? LIES! Fruity 8 1963 November 25, 2013 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Dragonetti