Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Reading Material
Atheist Reading Material
It's not surprising that in my small rural town the library has absolutely zero reading material about anti-theism. So can anyone recommend a good read, preferably something I could get on my Kindle?
RE: Atheist Reading Material
Not other than just listing off some well known atheists like Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 23, 2014 at 11:16 pm)lezbehonest Wrote: It's not surprising that in my small rural town the library has absolutely zero reading material about anti-theism. So can anyone recommend a good read, preferably something I could get on my Kindle?

God is Not Great by the late, great Christopher Hitchens.

The God Delusion, of course, is a classic.

I honestly haven;t read any other atheist books.
Dying to live, living to die.
I've become more knowledgeable after coming here and checking out a heap of YouTube videos. Anything and everything from genetics, Dawkins, Krause, evolution, etc.
I don't like reading books, I get blue lips!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Read "Jesus Interrupted" by Bart Ehrman.

They may have that one. If not, PM an email address and I'll send you an e-version.
I know nothing about Kindle. And I don't read too much anyway, but I do love Letter to a Christian Nation, by sam Harris.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Atheism or anti theism? Because both are different positions
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Robert G. Ingersoll:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/tochingr.htm

A Kindle collection can be found at Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38813
The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche is great (I recommend Walter Kaufmann's translation).
Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell
Darwin's Dangerous Idea and also Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett
As others said, The God Delusion and God is Not Great by Dawkins and Hitchens, respectively, are good too.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 24, 2014 at 10:03 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell

I had such a hard time sticking with this book that I'm still not finished with it. I gave it up and read some Bart Ehrman stuff instead.

I quite enjoyed Ehrman's Lost Christianities, but that's not on atheism or anti-theism, it's about all of the sects of Christianity that were steamrolled as orthodoxy developed in the ancient world. Very interesting.

I quite enjoy Victor Stenger's books, too: God: The Failed Hypothesis and God and the Folly of Faith, but between those two, I liked the Failed Hypothesis better.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you reading? arewethereyet 132 7380 March 23, 2024 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  If you were reading...... Foxaèr 4 344 January 29, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Reading order for the Duneverse? Gawdzilla Sama 6 648 June 20, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So I'm finally reading a work by Lovecraft GrandizerII 18 2128 October 15, 2019 at 5:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I tried watching and reading Peanuts Der/die AtheistIn 5 424 April 3, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Anyone else reading the Neapolitan Quartet by Elena Ferrante? Whateverist 0 321 September 21, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Hey, what are you reading there? Mr.Obvious 6 2045 May 29, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: c172
  What are you reading? BrokenQuill92 12 1625 August 23, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Transcendental material carusmm 4 623 May 30, 2016 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: carusmm
  What book(s) are you reading right now? Handprint 22 3756 September 4, 2015 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Alex K