Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terry Pratchet
Terry Pratchet
The Hogfather
Death: Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.
The Hogfather
Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?
Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
Susan: So we can believe the big ones?
Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.
Susan: They're not the same at all.
Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?
Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense
Tiger- Buddha

RE: Terry Pratchet
Awesome stuff! I love Terry Pratchet. Have you read, "Small Gods" it makes me want to read the other discworld books. I love the idea that gods are fed by belief, if only it were that simple.
I've got Hogfather and Colour of Magic on my DVR, but I need to figure out how to rip them to my computer.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I love the character 'Death'. Mort is the best I've read so far.
I loved the movie of The Hogfather. Loved that Pratchett directed and starred in it too Big Grin
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense
Tiger- Buddha

Read ALL of them!!

I think that Terry Pratchet has a very no nonsense take on human nature and with the prevalence of Religion in our world would pay the theory that gods thrive on belief....by Io!!

Terry Pratchet is noted in the credits as "mucked about with by.." ROFLOL

I would love to get all the available DVDs and wonder if ....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...t-religion

(hope the link works)

So love the way this guy thinks!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 14, 2010 at 11:14 am)Lilith_86 Wrote: The Hogfather
Death: Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.
The Hogfather
Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?

TERRY PRATCHETT
Worship (large)Worship (large)Worship (large)Worship (large)Worship (large)Worship (large)Worship (large)Worship (large)

I have ALL the books,(one autographed) a couple of the movies, and the T-shirt.

And even the mouse pad(anthill inside)
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(January 14, 2010 at 11:14 am)Lilith_86 Wrote: The Hogfather
The Hogfather

Partchett is far and away my favourite author, even surpassing Douglas Adams, (this will upset Darwinian).

Read all his books used to have soul music on video but no longer.

All of his books, as well as being vastly entertaining, have some deeper truth to impart, like a modern Dickens.

His dementia will rob us of a great writer, but not just yet!

Small Gods my favourite

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

His true genius is to be able to make it all make sense.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
That was a very moving and prescient piece. The part about how justice and rightness is not real, so we make it real, and then it is real, but only because we make it so. Reminds us of something else?

I will certainly make an effort to find this book, sounds interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A little something for fellow Terry Pratchett fans The Valkyrie 0 737 November 26, 2013 at 3:44 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Terry Pratchett: I'd rather be a rising ape. leo-rcc 3 1545 December 21, 2009 at 5:38 am
Last Post: leo-rcc