Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am a Saganist
I am a Saganist
Hi,

This is the first forum I've joined in about 8 years. Reading Carl Sagan in my teens is why I put my faith in sceptical enquiry and the scientific method.

I hope to engage in debates about interesting subjects so I can refine my own beliefs about the world around me.

Speak soon...
RE: I am a Saganist
What, exactly, is a Saganist?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Welcome. Damn, for a moment there I thought you said Satanist.

I do disagree with you about sugar though.
(August 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What, exactly, is a Saganist?

A person who believes Carl Sagan is God.
(August 5, 2014 at 3:46 pm)Tea No Sugar Wrote:
(August 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What, exactly, is a Saganist?

A person who believes Carl Sagan is God.

Oh. Great. Also..

(August 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm)Tea No Sugar Wrote: ...is why I put my faith in sceptical enquiry and the scientific method.

Shoulda noticed that.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 5, 2014 at 3:46 pm)Diablo Wrote: Welcome. Damn, for a moment there I thought you said Satanist.

Welcome!

Putting sugar in tea is like baking a lovely cake and then shitting on it Wink

The Saganist play on words is really just an ode to the person who helped shape a chunk of my worldview from a young age. I think the significance has already been a bit confusing for some people who aren't familiar with him.
(August 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm)Tea No Sugar Wrote:
(August 5, 2014 at 3:46 pm)Diablo Wrote: Welcome. Damn, for a moment there I thought you said Satanist.

Welcome!

Putting sugar in tea is like baking a lovely cake and then shitting on it Wink

The Saganist play on words is really just an ode to the person who helped shape a chunk of my worldview from a young age. I think the significance has already been a bit confusing for some people who aren't familiar with him.

You're just using some pretty loaded words is all. Apologies if you're joking, but we get all sorts of nutters around here, and calling Sagan (or any other person) your God and saying you have "faith" in science is similar to some of the stuff we see trolls doing around here.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: You're just using some pretty loaded words is all. Apologies if you're joking, but we get all sorts of nutters around here, and calling Sagan (or any other person) your God and saying you have "faith" in science is similar to some of the stuff we see trolls doing around here.

Woooow! Sorry for any confusion, FAF. Allow my to clarify: "Saganist" is just a play on words; no more than a nod to the late Carl Sagan. To speak of him as a god was merely a joke. Sagan was an advocate of sceptical thinking and wrote extensively about tackling the many psuedosciences of the world. The question of the existence of deities was something he wrote about extensively from the viewpoint of a contemporary scientist. He was very sceptical.

Of course, the word "faith" has numerous functions. In this context I meant faith insofar as I believe sceptical enquiry is the best tool we have for exploring the nature of the world around us. I didn't mean it in the religious sense.

Apologies again for any confusion! I can see how it may have appeared almost trollish. If I was familiar with the general vibe of the forum then I would've chosen my words more carefully. I presumed most people would have made the Carl Sagan connection and understood the implications.

Thanks.
(August 5, 2014 at 4:15 pm)Tea No Sugar Wrote:
(August 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: You're just using some pretty loaded words is all. Apologies if you're joking, but we get all sorts of nutters around here, and calling Sagan (or any other person) your God and saying you have "faith" in science is similar to some of the stuff we see trolls doing around here.

Woooow! Sorry for any confusion, FAF. Allow my to clarify: "Saganist" is just a play on words; no more than a nod to the late Carl Sagan. To speak of him as a god was merely a joke. Sagan was an advocate of sceptical thinking and wrote extensively about tackling the many psuedosciences of the world. The question of the existence of deities was something he wrote about extensively from the viewpoint of a contemporary scientist. He was very sceptical.

Of course, the word "faith" has numerous functions. In this context I meant faith insofar as I believe sceptical enquiry is the best tool we have for exploring the nature of the world around us. I didn't mean it in the religious sense.

Apologies again for any confusion! I can see how it may have appeared almost trollish. If I was familiar with the general vibe of the forum then I would've chosen my words more carefully. I presumed most people would have made the Carl Sagan connection and understood the implications.

Thanks.

No worries. Not like I'm the arbiter on trolls or anything, was just wondering.
- Thomas Jefferson
Coffee with cream & sugar for me!

Welcome aboard. Coffee
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]