Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMNI Magazine
OMNI Magazine
Anyone on the forum ever heard of a magazine called OMNI?

I used to get it as a teenager. It was a mix of science fiction (I remember stories by people like Ray Bradbury and Arthur C Clarke) and the latest from the world of science and technology.

Does anyone know if it's still in print or if old copies are available?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: OMNI Magazine
I got a subscription for the first three years as a gift. I've no idea if it's still in business.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Wikipedia Wrote:Omni was a science and science fiction magazine published in the US and the UK. It contained articles on science, parapsychology, and short works of science fiction and fantasy. It was published as a print version between October 1978 and 1995. The first Omni e-magazine was published on CompuServe in 1986 and the magazine switched to a purely online presence in 1996. It ceased publication abruptly in 1997, following the death of co-founder Kathy Keeton, and closed down in 1998.

I read it occasionally, but the science articles were mostly sensationalistic trash. I preferred Scientific American.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The science fiction was frequently excellent. A Thousand Deaths still haunts me in my darker moods. The was a Beserker story too.

The cartoons were fantastic. The science articles did tend a bit towards schlocky.

Seems like all the issues are on-line for free somewhere.
I used to read it, but I'm afraid it's defunct. Published by the same people who do Penthouse.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
There's some stuff here:

https://archive.org/details/omni-magazine
(August 7, 2014 at 10:11 am)rasetsu Wrote:
Wikipedia Wrote:Omni was a science and science fiction magazine published in the US and the UK. It contained articles on science, parapsychology, and short works of science fiction and fantasy. It was published as a print version between October 1978 and 1995. The first Omni e-magazine was published on CompuServe in 1986 and the magazine switched to a purely online presence in 1996. It ceased publication abruptly in 1997, following the death of co-founder Kathy Keeton, and closed down in 1998.

I read it occasionally, but the science articles were mostly sensationalistic trash. I preferred Scientific American.

To be honest I read it for the fiction. I was a huge fan of Sci-fi as a youngster, still am.

Scientific American and New Scientist I find have become quite sensationalist, certainly seems so in the last ten years.

MM

(August 7, 2014 at 11:15 am)Diablo Wrote: There's some stuff here:

https://archive.org/details/omni-magazine

Thank you!

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
It was AWESOME! I had a subscription for the entire run. It's amazing how many 'greats' it introduced to the general public: Greg Bear, Ernst Fuchs, H. R. Giger, De Es, and so many more.